Location: Shanghai, Shanghai Municipality, China
Surnames/tags: Asian_Cemeteries Shanghai
- Bubbling Well Road Cemetery category for the developing list of people buried in this Cemetery who have profiles on Wikitree.
Cemetery name: Bubbling Well Road Cemetery
Address: Now occupied by Jing'an Park, Nanjing W Road at Huashan Road, Shanghai
GPS Coordinates: 31.222142, 121.446995
Estimated Burials: +5,500 interred, 1,350 cremations.
Information: Bubbling Well Cemetery (Jing'an), opened 1898, closed 1951. In the winter of 1953-54 the cemetery was reclaimed for redevelopment. If families were able to make arrangements, graves were REPORTEDLY removed to the Dachang cemetery, in Baoshan. The authorities in fact gave very little notice of these developments, however, and few will have been transferred. The Dachang cemetery was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution period, and various factories were built on the site. There were 43 British naval and 13 British military graves at Bubbling Well. In the process of removal of the military graves the Chinese authorities deliberately obliterated all details other than names. The present Jing'an Park occupies the site.
By the time of the Cultural Revolution, most all of the foreign cemeteries in China had been destroyed. For this reason, almost all grave photos for this cemetery will be historical ones. It was not uncommon for graves of foreigners buried in China to be photographed. It was presumed that their loved ones would never get an opportunity to visit the grave, so after the stone was set, the ground settled and the landscaping complete, a photograph was a common occurrence.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)