Surnames/tags: Burr Sherwood Cable
This Free Space Page is to explain corrections made to the following profiles:
- Daniel Burr per old profile, born 1550 in England, married to Mary (Sherwood) Burr.
- Mary (Sherwood) Burr, born 1552 in England, married to Daniel Burr.
- Elizabeth Sarah Cable formerly Burr born 1570 in England, married to John Cable and Thomas Sherwood 2nd.
- John Cable, born 1574 in Essex, England, married to Elizabeth (Burr) Cable
Their relationships, as shown in their profiles are:
- Daniel Burr ---- married to --- Mary (Sherwood) Burr
- Elizabeth Sarah (Burr) Cable (married to John Cable)
Some of these relationships are correct, but birth years and birth locations are not. All of the parties, excepting Thomas 2nd Sherwood, were born in the English colonies. The four subject profiles appear to be unsourced, with the possible exception of the following:
The source given when these profiles were created is: Selleck, Lillian Lounsberry (Miner); One Branch of the Miner Family, with extensive notes on the Wood, Lounsberry, Rogers and fifty other allied families of Connecticut and Long Island (Published 1928 by in New Haven, Connecticut; D. L. Jacobus; 1928). Available for loan through Internet Archive: (https://archive.org/details/onebranchofminer00sell). At the time of this writing, all copies were checked out, and the matter was not available for this writer's review.
Following is the relationship of the profiled parties, with sources enumerated.
Daniel Burr, was the son of Jehu Burr (2nd), born about 1660 in Fairfield, Connecticut Colony. He was called “Mr.”, of “Upper Meadow” to distinguish him from his cousin.
- m.1 Hannah Banks, daughter of John Banks, whose 1684 will calls her wife of Daniel Burr.
- Daughter Hannah [born 16 June 1681 per Fairfield records] (also Greenfield Church records.)
- m.2 Mary Sherwood, daughter of Stephen Sherwood.
- Son Jehu [born circa 1687, died in Fairfield 1757. [By 1710 of Newtown married 1st, Hannah. Will 28 Sep 1757 names wife 2 – Sarah; brother Stephen; sons Jehu & Daniel; 9 daughters, and others]
- Mary (Mary Burr 2nd wife of David Meeker) [born circa 1689; baptized 30 May 1708; died. at Greenfield 30 Aug 1763 in 74th year; married David Meeker by 1720.]
- m.3 Elizabeth Pinkney, daughter of Philip Pinkney. Elizabeth had 10 children. (See below, Volume 1, pp. 124-125 for full list of names.)
- Daughter Elizabeth, the first child of Elizabeth (Pinkney) Burr, born (Greenfield records) 12 April 1696. She married Nathaniel Hull 29 November 1716.
The above recitation shows that Daniel and Mary Sherwood did not have a daughter Elizabeth; that their was a daughter Elizabeth, but she was the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth, and that she married Nathaniel Hull. She was not married to either John Cable or Thomas Sherwood 2nd. For this reason, Elizabeth Sarah Cable formerly Burr has been disconnected as a daughter of Daniel and Mary Sherwood. Her profile is, or will be, connected instead to Daniel Burr and Elizabeth Pinkney, and edited to show correct relationships, dates, and other pertinent data.
Stephen Sherwood (born circa 1638, son of Thomas 1st & (w.2) Mary Sherwood [not the subject Mary Sherwood], married 1st Rebecca, daughter of Benjamin Turney; married 2nd Hannah (widow of Philip Galpin & daughter of Henry Jackson); m. 3rd Mary (widow of ___ Merwin & daughter of Edward Adams). He had daughter Mary Sherwood who married Daniel Burr. . Her father’s approximate birth year further demonstrates that Mary Sherwood could not have been born in 1552 in England.
So, who then was the real person supposedly represented by the erroneous profile of Elizabeth Sarah (Burr) Cable?
Thomas 2nd Sherwood, born circa 1624 (age 10 in April 1634), married 1st by 1654, Sarah daughter of Thomas Wheeler; married 2nd by 1659, Ann, daughter of Benjamin Turney in Fairfield); married 3rd, after 1673, Elizabeth ____, widow of John Cable; married 4th Sarah (Hide), daughter of Humphrey Hide, and widow of Peter Coley.
‘’Families of Old Fairfield’’ shows that Elizabeth _____ married John 2 Cable probably shortly before his 1673 death, since there are no children shown from the marriage. This demonstrates that she could not have been born in 1570 in England. Nor could she have died in September 1673, since she married Thomas Sherwood 2nd after 1673 and before 1684. Torrey’s ‘’New England Marriages’’ reports: “CABLE, John (1641-1673) & Elizabeth _____, m/2 Thomas SHERWOOD; ca 1661; Fairfield, CT.” 
Torrey’s entry, and the entries in ‘’Families of Old Fairfield’’, ‘’Old Town of Stratford’’, and the article ‘’The English Home of Thomas Sherwood of Fairfield, Conn. ’’ all decline to give a birth surname to Elizabeth. Unless a well-sourced name is found, Elizabeth must be renamed “Elizabeth (UNKNOWN) Cable, Sherwood.”
- ↑ Fairfield, CT: Families of Old Fairfield [hereinafter Families of Old Fairfield]. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008.) Originally published as History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield. Compiled and edited by Donald Lines Jacobus. 2 vols. New Haven: The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Company, 1930-1932. Volume 1, page 124).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Mahler, Leslie; Article ‘’The English Home of Thomas Sherwood of Fairfield, Conn. ’’ in ‘’The American Genealogist’’. New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009 -.) Volume 80 (October 2005), page 281. See record at subscription site.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Orcutt, Samuel; ‘’A History of the Old Town of Stratford and the City of Bridgeport’’ (Bridgeport, Conn.; Fairfield County Historical Society, 1886). Available through Internet Archive: See record at subscription site. Volume 2, p. 1292.
- ↑ Families of Old Fairfield’’, Vol. 2, page219.
- ↑ New England Marriages to 1700. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008.) Originally published as: New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2015. Volume 1, page 268. See record at subscription site.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)