Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Surnames/tags: ontario military great_war
The photograph featuring "C Company" of the 111th Battalion, CEF was originally found in the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 272 Hespeler. Following a fire in the 1970s, Legion member Jeffrey Gill rescued the photo and it has been in his family's possession since that point.
Featured in the photograph are seven young men in summer military dress standing in front of a number of camp tents. On the front, the words "C. Company, 111th Btn, Hespeler" are written in red pen. The photograph was originally printed as a postcard (a common practice at the time), and based on damage to the back, was likely once glued inside of a scrapbook. On the reverse a number of names are listed, identifying location, year, and five of the seven men.
- "John Havey, Stan Horner, Will Dayus, Joe Rathman, (back) Hubert Schorse - Carling Heights, London Ont, 1916"
By cross-referencing the names written on the back of the photo with available CEF files on the Archives Canada website, more information has emerged on each of the men.
- John Joseph Havey | Service #: 730162 | Havey is identified as "John Havey", and is the man on the far left of the photo, sporting a toothbrush style moustache and a large sunhat. He was born on December 13, 1892, in Ayr, Ontario, to John Havey and Margaret Lynch. John attested for service in Hespeler on December 7, 1915, a few days before his twenty-third birthday.
- Stanley "Stan" Horner | Service #: 730153 | The second man from the left is identified as "Stan Horner". Stanley Horner was born on August 25, 1896, to Samuel Horner and Ellen St. John of Leeds, Yorkshire, England. When enlisting for service in Hespeler on December 3, 1915, while working as a banker.
- Wilfred Dillon "Will" Dayus | Service #: 730370 | Third from the left is listed as "Will Dayus", otherwise known as Wilfred Dillon Dayus. Born February 26, 1894 in Charing Cross, Kent, Ontario, to Thomas Dayus and Sarah Ann Lloyd, Wilfred was working as a cabinet maker in Hespeler at the time of his attestation on January 13, 1916.
- Joseph Wilfred "Joe" Rathmell | Service #: 730438 |
- Hubert John Harrison Schorse | Service #: 730731 |
- Unidentified Man 1
- Unidentified Man 2