The present Parish of Calary was formed out of parts of four parishes- Delgany, Derrylossary, Powerscourt and Newcastle in 1831. It covers a large area of rugged and boggy land from the Sally Gap to the Glen of the Downs and from the Sugar Loaf to near Roundwood. Two famous rivers have their sources in the parish, the Vartry and the Liffey as well as two well known mountains, War hill and Djouce Mountain. The building of Calary church was commenced in 1832 and completed in 1834. It is a small neat building in the later English style, with a square embattled tower with four pinnacles. Calary remained a separate parish until 1941 and in 1970 became part of the current Parish of Newcastle and Newtownmountkennedy with Calary.