Surnames/tags: quakers pennsylvania
For more information, see the website of the Caln Quarterly Meeting
Short history from the Friends Historical Library at Swarthmore College
- Caln Quarterly Meeting was established in 1800 by Philadelphia Yearly Meeting out of a division of Concord Quarterly Meeting and Western Quarterly Meeting. Two quarterly meetings were formed at the time of the Hicksite separation in 1827/28. In 1942, the Hicksite quarterly meeting became a half-yearly meeting. In 1949, Caln Half-Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) began meeting jointly with Caln Quarterly Meeting (Orthodox) on a quarterly basis. In 1952, Caln became the first united quarterly meeting.
- A preparative meeting at Caln was established by Concord Monthly Meeting in 1716; Chester [Concord] Quarterly Meeting established a meeting for worship later that year. In 1737, the preparative meeting and meeting for worship were transferred to Bradford Monthly Meeting.
- The Orthodox preparative meeting was discontinued sometime after 1940.
- Caln Preparative Meeting (Hicksite) was transferred to Bradford-Uwchlan Monthly Meeting in 1883. The preparative meeting was discontinued in 1889; its members were attached to Uwchlan Preparative Meeting.