Location: Sisters, Deschutes, Oregon, United States
This page is part of the Oregon Cemeteries Project
Cemetery name: Camp Polk Cemetery
Address: Cemetery Rd, Sisters, OR 97759
GPS Coordinates: 44.3231010, -121.5139008
Also known as the Hindman Cemetery, for the family who settled there when the military post of Camp Polk closed. It is also known as the Sisters Cemetery.
In October 1865, an Army camp of eight log cabins was established on a hillside near the present location of Camp Polk Cemetery. This Army camp was named Camp Polk, and lends the cemetery its name. The camp was abandoned in May 1866. Samuel Hindman homesteaded the meadow in 1873, and his barn (or, rather, its beams) is the oldest still standing in Deschutes County.
The area is now a meadow preserve, replete with informative signage, managed by the Deschutes Land Trust. The cemetery is located at the end of the road, after passing the meadow and barn.
- Camp Polk Cemetery at the Oregon Encyclopedia
- Camp Polk Cemetery at Visit Bend
- Camp Polk Cemetery at US GenWeb. This page contains a transcription of the headstones at this cemetery.
- Camp Polk Meadow Preserve. This site discusses the area around the cemetery, providing context for the cemetery's location and history.