Location: En route: to Lyttelton, New Zealand
Births aboard the Carisbrooke Castle
There were six recorded births on this voyage.  Two boys; Baby Jennings and Baby McPherson and four girls, Baby Rowe, Baby Unwin and the Meadows Twins.
This space has been created as a point to link those babies to relevant Wiki Tree profiles as place this small list with the ship list. It's nice to see how these brand new settlers faired once they arrived in New Zealand.
The following table has been created from information derived from the original ships registers of births at sea of British Nationals. An image has been embedded below, for the Carisbrooke births (6), apologies as the size renders it a little difficult to read. Clicking on it will enlarge the image.
|August||8||F||ROWE||Rosetta Rowe 1874/37943|
|August||22||F||MEADOWS||Elizabeth Meadows 1874/45778|
|August||22||F||MEADOWS||Rosina Meadows 1874/45775|
|Sept||5||M||McPHERSON||yet to be located|
To date, only two of the babies can be linked to Wiki Tree profiles. The first birth was that of Joseph "Joe" Jennings, the 3rd son of Henry and Sarah Ann Jennings originally from Berkshire. Joe was born on 24 July 1874. Sadly the Jennings lost their 2nd son, Alfred, during the voyage as there had been a measles outbreak on board. Their eldest son, William who was sick during the voyage, thankfully survived. The Jennings lived in Dunedin and went on to have at least six more children. [Profiles need to be created for the Jennings Parents and siblings]
The other birth that can be connected to a Wiki Tree profile was that of Lucy Magdalene Unwin, who arrived on 20 August 1874. She was the fifth child of Thomas and Anne Unwin who had come from Warwickshire. Anne or Annie as she was otherwise known was originally from Newfoundland.
Both of these profiles that be access through the table above. For those not yet linked, their NZ Birth registration appears next to their name as a means of further identification.
|Extract from the Registers of Births at Sea of British Nationals|
Women indicated as being "confined" on board
Below is a list of women who were recorded as being confined on board, although it should be noted that some of them may have been "confined" for illness as opposed to pregnancy. It should be further noted that some of the Mothers that gave birth were not indicated as being confined.
- Mary, wife of James Laird of Derry
- Ann, wife of Thomas Unwin of Warwickshire
- Ann, wife of William Bridget of Devon
- Ellen, wife of John Rowe of Northhampton
- Eliza, wife of Thomas R. Watts of Northampton
- Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Dixon of Surrey
- Mary, wife of Richard Hazley of Middlesex
- Alice, wife of William H Alderton of Norfolk
- Mary, wife of John Adams of Kent
- Elizabeth wife of John Clarke of Warwickshire
- Jane, wife of Henry Holloway of Middlesex
- Eliza wife of John Chignell, of Essex
- Sophia wife of Jas H Bradford of Middlesex
- Fanny wife of John H. Parks of Oxon
- ↑ The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; Registers of Births at Sea of British Nationals; Class: BT 160; Piece: 1, https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/60998/44995_bt_160_01_0004/220401/
- ↑ http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page2801.html