upload image

Carthage Township, Athens County, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 28 times.

Carthage Township was orginally a part of Troy Township. It was organized in 1819. The first white settler within the limits of what is now Carthage township was Asahel Cooley, Sr. came in 1799. His brotherin-law, Ephraim Frost, came the year after. They were followed by Bernardus B. Lottridge, Ebenezer Buckingham, William Jeffers, Alexander Caldwell, Moses Elliott, James Baker, Daniel Boyd, Abraham Norris, Peter Hammond, Nathaniel Martin, Caleb P. Wells, Walter Glazier, John and Edward Lawrence, and William Mills.

The early records of the township are lost, and there is no list of its officers prior to 1855. The population in 1820 was 320; in 1830 it was 395; in 1840 it was 734; in 1850 it was 1,087; in 1860 it was 1,827.

Sources

See also:



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.