Castell-y-Mynach - Creigiau, Cardiff

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdommap
Surname/tag: Wales
This page has been accessed 66 times.

Wales Project | Topics Teams | Wales Historic Buildings Team

Castell-y-Mynach, Creigiau, Cardiff

A history of Castell-y-Mynach, Creigiau, Cardiff, a Grade II listed building.


Castell-y-Mynach (Castle of the Monks) is a grand late medieval mansion located in Criegiau, Cardiff, near Pentyrch. As the name implies, it was believed to have once been a castle that served as a monastery in medieval times.

The first authentic owners of record was the Mathew family of Llandaff. Robert Mathew (b. abt 1370), son of Mathew ap Ieuan of Llandaff and Jenet Fleming. Robert married Alice Thomas, daughter of Jenkin Thomas, and the heiress of Pantycorred. This marriage accounts for the two estates being merged into one. The house was the residence for eight generations of the Mathew family in succession. The marriage connections became associated with the leading Glamorgan families of the time, including the Herberts of Cogan Pill, the Raglans of Llysworney, and the Llewellyns of Rhydlavar.

The last of the Mathew family ownership was Cecil M. Mathew, daughter of Charles Mathew. She married Charles Talbot who became the first Baron Talbot. Their son William became the second Baron Talbot, and later became Lord Dynevor.

The possession of the house then passed to E. Merlin George Rice Wingfield, Esq., son of the late Edward Wingfield, Esq. of of Barrington Park near Cheltenham, whose mother was the daughter of Lord Dynevor.

The first known tenant farmer was Mr. Davies who lived there from 1726 to 1768. The next tenant farmer was Mr. William John. At that time the farmland had been reduced to 220 acres. It was held by the John family for five generations, until 1888, when it was taken by farmer by the name of Mr. Cook.

Little is know today of the original exterior configuration of Castell-y-Mynach. The greater part of the old buildings have been removed and a large quantity of limestone taken away. There was a keystone in the arched bard with the inscription T.M. Kt. and the date 1616, referring to Thomas Mathew, who was the Sheriff of London in 1613.

The interior of the main building, from information dating to 1901, indicates some connection to royalty. The large reception area contained the King's Coat of Arms, emblazoned on the wall. On the opposite side of this room is a Royal Stag's Head, said to be one of the Royal Stags from Windsor Park. The interior also contains a massive stone mantel, above which is the carved coat of arms of Lord Dynevor.

Today, what remains of Castell-y-Mynach is a excellent specimen of a Welsh Farmhouse, and is now surrounded by a housing development.


  • Morris, W. M., History of Castell-y-Mynach and Surrounding District of Creigiau, Near Pentyrch, A Prize Essay Published in 1901 by Ford Printer, Pontypridd.
  • Clark, George T., Limbus Patrum Morganiae et Glamorganiae : Being the Geneologies of the Older Families of the Lordships of Morgan and Glamorgan, Wyman and Sons, London, 1886. See Index of Places (page 597).

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Diane Matthews and Wales Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Comments: 3

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.
Project Leader Rich Devlin advises “Wales Project WikiTree” needs to be added as a Manager.

Open Privacy, go to the Watchlist, select WikiTree-66 and then click on Add Selected People

If WikiTree-66 is not shown, enter this address in the email box #1 - [email address removed] Once added, on the right on the entry click on Add as Manager

posted by Stuart Awbrey
The referenced email address was removed from this comment. WikiTree-66 cannot be seen.
posted by Diane Matthews
OK Stuart, should be set now. = Diane
posted by Diane Matthews