Surnames/tags: quakers categorization
Meeting Categories for use on Profiles
- Since most records were compiled and created at the Monthly Meetings, Individual Profiles should be added to those categories. If the meeting name is not known, you may use the general Quakers category.
- For more information on the hierarchy for Quaker Categories, see Quaker Project Category Help.
- The naming convention for Monthly Meetings within the United States is:
- Category:[Name] Monthly Meeting, [Town], [State]
- Many Quaker meeting houses were located in rural areas outside of towns. If the location is currently still in a rural area rather than a town or city, include the county name followed by the word "County" in place of the town name.
- For example, to add an individual to the Byberry Monthly Meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, add the following to the profile:
- [[Category: Byberry Monthly Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania]]
Meetings in the British Isles (Including Ireland)
- The general form for any Quaker Meeting category is Category: [Specific Meeting Name], [Local Place Name], [Region and/or Country].
- The form for any Quaker Meeting category in the British Isles is Category: [Specific Meeting Name], [County], [Country]
For example, the naming convention for Monthly Meeting within England is:
- Category:[Name] Quaker Meeting, [County], England
- For example, to add an individual to the Ampthill Quaker Meeting in Bedfordshire England, add the following to the profile:
- [[Category: Ampthill Quaker Meeting, Bedfordshire, England]]
- The Meeting hierarchy has not been established for other countries, please work with this project if you are interested in creating these categories. Check the Category:Religious Society of Friends (Quaker Meetings) Category to see if your country has been started.
Other Profile Categories
- Other possible Project Categories for individual Profiles include:
- Quaker Abolitionists
- Valiant Sixty
- Quaker Notables
- Many early American Quakers will be eligible for the William Penn and Early Pennsylvania Settlers Project as well.
High Level Project Categories
- These are high level categories used by the project. In general, these are not added to individual profiles. Profiles should only be be added to lowest level category known within any given hierarchy - ideally the Meeting(s) of which the person was a member.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)