Surnames/tags: Chamberlin Chamberlain Chamberlayne
How to Join
Please contact the project leaders Robin Helstrom and Frances Piercy-Reins or post a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name (including Chamberlain, Chamberlin, and Chamberlayne). The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- Add yourself to the members list, and describe your Chamberlin/lain connection & research interests
- Add notable Chamberlins/Chamberlains to the name study
- Try to connect the various lines
- Add Chamberlain/Chamberlin profiles into the One Name Study categories here.
- Robin Helstrom - project leader. Descendant of Richard Chamberlain of Braintree, MA. Intrested in connecting lines and establishing DNA connections
- Frances Piercy-Reins - project leader. Descendant of Sir Richard Chamberlain of Shirburn, Oxfordshire, England. Pre-1500 certified.
- Katie Goodwin
- Andrea Chamberlin-Norris
- Deb Cavel
- Jennifer Graham
- Roberta Baker
- Donna Stephens Harris, Descendant of Thomas Chamberlayne of Maugersbury, Glos, and Virginia Colony.
This famous and interesting surname is of Old French origin, and is an occupational name for a chamberlain, that is an official in charge of the private chambers of his master; the term was later a title of high rank. The derivation of this name is from the Old French and Anglo-Norman French "c(h)ambrelain, cambrelane, cambrelen(c)", chamberlain.
Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Chamberlin#ixzz5Hm0VrN9v
- Follow this link to the Early Chamberlayne Research page Early Chamberlayne Research
- Clarence Chamberlin (1893-1976), American aviator
- Edson Joseph Chamberlin (1852-1924), president of the Grand Trunk Railway
- Edward Chamberlin (1899-1967), American economist
- Frank Chamberlin (1978–2013), American football player
- Guy Chamberlin (1894–1967), American football player
- Harry Chamberlin (1887-1944), Olympic equestrian and US Army brigadier general
- Harry Chamberlin, inventor of the Chamberlin musical keyboard instrument
- Henry Chamberlin (died 1888), member of the New Zealand Legislative Council
- Jan Rooney née Chamberlin, singer and widow of Mickey Rooney
- Jim Chamberlin (1915-1981), Canadian aerodynamicist who worked on the Canadian Avro Arrow, NASA's Gemini spacecraft and the Apollo program
- Joseph Conrad Chamberlin (1898–1962), American arachnologist
- Lee Chamberlin (1938–2014), American actress
- Mason Chamberlin (1727–1787), English portrait painter
- Ralph Vary Chamberlin (1879–1967), American biologist and historian
- Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin (1843–1928), American geologist
- Willard Joseph Chamberlin (1890–1971), American entomologist and World War I pilot
- William Henry Chamberlin (1897–1969), American historian and journalist
- William Henry Chamberlin (philosopher) (1870-1921), Mormon philosopher and theologian
- John Chamberlain (abt. 1553-1628) famous Elizabethan letter writer
- Alexander Francis Chamberlain (1865–1914), Canadian anthropologist
- Austen Chamberlain (1863–1937), British politician, Nobel Peace Prize winner, son of Joseph Chamberlain
- Basil Hall Chamberlain (1850–1935), British Japanologist and poet
- Betsey Guppy Chamberlain (c. 1797–1886), textile mill worker of Native American background who wrote sketches and poetry in the early 19th century
- Brenda Chamberlain (artist) (1912–1971), Welsh artist and poet
- Bob Chamberlain, Australian founder of Chamberlain Tractor now part of Chamberlain John Deere
- Calvin T. Chamberlain (1795–1878), New York politician
- Charles Joseph Chamberlain (1863–1943), American botanist
- Cyril Chamberlain (1909–1974), British actor
- Daniel Henry Chamberlain (1835–1907), American politician
- George Earle Chamberlain (1854–1928), American politician
- Sir Henry Chamberlain, 1st Baronet (1773–1829), British diplomat
- Henry Chamberlain (politician) (died 1888), New Zealand politician
- Houston Stewart Chamberlain (1855–1927), British author noted for his works concerning the Aryan race
- Ice Box Chamberlain (1867–1929), American baseball player
- Jay Chamberlain (1925–2001), American race car driver
- John Chamberlain (letter writer) (1553–1628), 16th-century English letter writer
- John Chamberlain (missionary) (1777—1821), English missionary and bible translator
- John Curtis Chamberlain (1772–1834), US politician
- John Henry Chamberlain (1831–1883), English architect
- John Loomis Chamberlain (1858–1948), American army officer, recipient of the Distinguished Service Medal
- John Marvin Chamberlain (1844–1928), English composer
- John Rensselaer Chamberlain (1903–1995), American journalist and editor
- Joseph Chamberlain (1836–1914), British politician
- Joshua Chamberlain (1828–1914), college professor, officer in the United States Army during the American Civil War and Governor of Maine
- Lindy Chamberlain (born 1948) and Michael Chamberlain (1944–2017), whose infant daughter Azaria disappeared in the Dingo Baby case
- Mellen Chamberlain (1821–1900), American lawyer, historian and librarian
- Montague Chamberlain (1844–1924), Canadian-American naturalist, founder of the American Ornithologists' Union
- Nathan Henry Chamberlain (1830–1901), American clergyman
- Neville Chamberlain (1869–1940), British Prime Minister from 1937 to 1940, son of Joseph Chamberlain
- Neville Bowles Chamberlain (1820–1902), British Field Marshal
- Neville Francis Fitzgerald Chamberlain (1856–1944), British Army officer and Inspector-General of the Royal Irish Constabulary
- Owen Chamberlain (1920–2006), Nobel Prize–winning American physicist and co-discoverer of the anti-proton
- Richard Chamberlain (MP for Islington West) (1840–1899), British politician
- Samuel Chamberlain (1829–1908), American soldier, painter and artist
- Samuel Selwyn Chamberlain (1851–1916), American journalist
- Thomas Crowder Chamberlain (1843–1928), American geologist
- Vicente Cuadra Chamberlain (1919–2000), Nicaraguan advertising executive
- Warren D. Chamberlain (1927–2013), American politician
- William Charles Chamberlain (1818–1878), British Rear Admiral
- William H. Chamberlain (1931–1972), American politician from Illinois
- Wilt Chamberlain (1936–1999), American basketball player
- Sir Thomas Chamberlayne of Prestbury, (1504-1580) Ambassador
- Edward Chamberlayne (1616–1703), (grandson of the above), English writer
- John Chamberlayne (1666-1723), (son of the above), English writer and translator
- Tankerville Chamberlayne (1840–1924), English Member of Parliament
- Sir Thomas Chamberlayne (judge) (died 1625), English judge who served as Chief Justice of Chester
- Sir Thomas Chamberlayne, 1st Baronet (died 1643), of Wickham, Oxfordshire supported the Royalist cause in the English Civil War. He was Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1643
- Sir Thomas Chamberlayne, 2nd Baronet (c. 1635–1682), one of few men to receive a renewal of the baronetcy from the Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell
- Thomas Chamberlayne (cricketer) (1805–1876), English cricketer and yachtsman
- Edward Chamberlayne (1740-1782), Joint Secretary to the Treasury
- Francis Chamberlayne MP (1676-1728), Slave Trader, MP of New Shoreham, Sussex
- Thomas Chamberlayne (priest), Dean of Bristol, 1739–1757
- William Chamberlayne (poet) (1619–1679), English poet
- William Chamberlayne (MP) (1760–1829), English Member of Parliament and landowner
- The Chamberlayne family, an influential family of Weston, Southampton, United Kingdom
- Visitation of Norfolk - for Chamberlaynes of Gedding: https://archive.org/details/visitationnorfo00dashgoog/page/n104/mode/2up?q=Calthorpe
- The Gentleman's Magazine. Index to the Biographical and Obituary Notices; (1731-1780)., London: E. Cave. Retrieved from the Internet Archive (Here;) Accessed 10 Sept 2021.
- Chamberlayne Association of America - Report of Annual Meeting Vol 7-13. Retrieved from (Here;) Accessed 10 Sept 2021.
- Chamberlain Early Family Register extracted from various sources. This document, no longer available in the internet, has now been uploaded to the Internet Archive and is available for download, as a Torrent or a PDF file (Here;) Accessed 13 Jan 2023.
- Chamberlain of London: Visitation of London (Anno Domini 1633, 1634, and 1635. Made by Sr. Henry St. George, Kt., Richmond Herald, and Deputy and Marshal to Sr. Richard St. George, Kt., Clarencieux King of Armes · Vol. 1., p.146f). St. George, Sir Henry., Saint-George, Sir Richard., (1880). Retrieved from Google e-Boks (p.146f...) Accessed 4 Feb 2022.
- Ed. Hanks, Patrick., McClure, Peter., Coates, Richard., The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland. (2016). Retrieved from Google books (Here;) Accessed 3 Feb 2022.
- Chamberlin/Chamberlain connection? We want you! Aug 21, 2018.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Frances Piercy-Reins, One Name Studies WikiTree, and Robin Helstrom. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)