upload image

Chardon, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 31 times.
After the Chardon Fire.
Chardon Courthouse.

Chardon is named after Peter Chardon Brooks, who donated land to build the historic Chardon Square. The first house, a double log cabin, was built in March of 1812 by Norman Canfield from Litchfield, Herkimer, New York. Captain Edward Paine Jr. came with his family in 1812. Later that same year, Samuel King brought his family from Long Meadow, Massachusetts. Samuel was the first adult to die in Chardon on 6 Feb 1817.

On July 24–25, 1868, a massive fire totally destroyed the center of downtown, the area now known as Chardon Square. The fire originated in the Parlin Parkin's grocery store, and spread rapidly. By the time the fire was contained, the courthouse, post office, and many stores on the square were destroyed.

Sources

See also:



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.