Surnames/tags: Cheyne Cheney Chen
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. Cheyne, Cheney.... The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
How to Join
Please contact the project leader David Urquhart or post a comment down below. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
- Members of the family have been shown to frequent the Norfolk area of England where records show one William de Caisneto, Sheriff of Norfolk.
- In Scotland, records show early Chen and Cheyne family members in Inverness and Nairnshire.
- Records also show a large number of Cheyne family members in Aberdeenshire.
- It is said that the family probably has its origins in Quesnai in Normandy, France.
- In England the name was originally spelled de Chesney or de Chasney, also latinised to de Caisneto, and later became Cheyney or Cheney.
- In Scotland the name was commonly spelled Chen before 1600 and Cheyne after 1600.
- Recognised both as an Armigerous clan without a Chief and as a sept of Clan Sutherland.
The Cheyne Family
- William Cheyne earliest proven Cheyne Ancestor of Elizabeth and Eleanora and unlinked to the rest of the Cheyne's.
- Due to problems with Rootsweb, hosted by Ancestry, as of May 2018, the Cheyne One Name Study constructed by Jim Cheyne over the past 30 years, has since moved to the link below and is now hosted by the Guild of One Name Studies. There is also a Facebook page.
- Elizabeth Cheyne Copeland is an ancestor of Laura Bozzay and sister to
- Eleanora Cheyne Angus... an ancestor.
- Wikitree Scotland Genealogy Resources
- Wikitree Parishes of Scotland
- Wikitree Peerage of Scotland
- Wikitree Scotland Resources space page
- Rick Pierpont's Scotland Sources space page
- Wikimedia Commons
- Clan Cheyne-Wikipedia
- Category:Cheyne family-Wikipedia
- Cheyne baronets-Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Commons-Wikipedia
- Cheyne/Cheney Family One Name Study website. This website has been an on going project by James Cheyne. I have conversed with Jim by email several times. It is an excellent base for hints on the Cheyne Family.
- The Cheney Genealogy A large book on the Genealogy of the Cheney family in America which claims possible English Ancestry.
- Genealogy of the Stebbins Family including kindred lines, Swetland, Wilcox and Cheney A much smaller book on a Cheney family kindred to the Stebbins family in America.
- There are several books about the Cheyne family.
- R. W. L. Chesney, Le Fief de Quesneto, published in 1962 and 1975, which traces the families now known as Cheyne, Cheney, Cheyney and Chesney from their Norman roots to the England and later Scotland.
- A. Y. Cheyne, The Cheyne Family in Scotland, published in 1931, which traces the "landed family" from the mid 1100's to their end in the 1600's.
- W. D. Cheyne-MacPherson, F.S.A.(Scot), The Cheyne of Inverugie, Esslemont and Arnage and Their Descendants, published 1943, which traces the cadet family of John Cheyne, in Claymires, Ellon circa 1600 to modern times. Included are the families that are now in Edinburgh, Australia and New Zealand. "
- James Cheyne's, THE CHEYNE FAMILY OF ABERDEENSHIRE, published in 1993.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and David Urquhart. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)