Location: Carrollton, MS
Surnames/tags: Choctaw Trail of Tears
Register of Choctaw Emigrants to the West 1831 and 1832
- complied by Betty C. Wiltshire
- published by Pioneer Publishing Co. Carrollton, MS 1993.
- Inline Citation Example:
<ref>Wiltshire, Betty Couch, ''[[Space:Choctaw_Emigrants|Register of Choctaw Emigrants to the West 1831 and 1832]]'' Pioneer Publishing Co. Carrollton, MS 1993</ref>
To find this book for your own research, use WorldCat (pre-filtered search for this title) the world's largest library catalog, helping you find library materials online.
A soft bound volume containing 162 pages including: Table of Contents, Introduction, and Index. Note that the Index is limited to Heads of Family and Surnames only.
The last paragraph of the Introduction provides context for the records contained in the book.
|The information in this book was copied directly from microfilm, Roll #RG 75, at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Volume 5 of this registration, which had some of the Horse Prairie Depot emigrants listed, was not availalbe; but even so, the registration contains over 3600 names of Choctaws and their slaves, who survived the emigration to the west during 1831 and 1832.|
The scope of the included data is limited to those arrivals in late 1831 and early 1832, including arrival locations:
- Fort Towson Depot ~ pages 9 - 69
- Old Miller Court House Depot ~ pages 70 - 84
- Horse Prairie Depot ~ pages 86 - 118
- Mountain Fork Depot ~ pages 119 - 152
The transcriptions end on page 152 with the following dated transmittal:
|Fort Towson - 10 July 1832
Agreeably to your instruction I have herewith enclosed a copy of my Register of Emigrant Choctaws. It includes all who have emigrated with the exception of those who have located near Forth Smith. ~Signed J. R. Stephenson
Each page offers a listing of names along with their age, height, gender and if they were a slave.
|Example Page - Original Not Redacted|
The number of rows may be adjusted to fit the number in the arrival party.
|Page||No||Name||Years of age||Feet||Inches||Male||Female||Slaves|
Volumes 1 - 7 cover these dates:
- Vol 1 1831 1832 pg 8
- vol 2 1832 pg 32
- vol 3 1832 pg 53
- vol 4 nd
- vol 5 ???????
- vol 6 nd
- vol 7 1832 pg 127
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Native Americans Project WikiTree and Ronald Prentice. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)