Location: Drewsteignton, Devon, England, United Kingdom
The Church of the Holy Trinity is a 15th Century church in the village of Drewsteignton in West Devon. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Taintone, meaning a settlement beside the Teign.
The name evolved and by the 13th century it was called Teyngton Drue, after a local landowner named Drogo, or Drewe. A highly romanticised version of the village's origins equated 'Drew' with druids, but this has more to do with fantasy than history.
Holy Trinity dates from the 15th century but stands on the site of a much earlier building. Inside is a royal coat of arms from the reign of Elizabeth I and an unusual font. The font pedestal is Norman but the bowl dates from the 18th century - replacing the original bowl that was broken when the roof fell in.
There are a number of 17th-18th century grave slabs set into the floor. Look for the board displaying rules for bell-ringers in rhyming verse. One verse sets out a fine for wearing a hat while ringing the bells as 'He that rings here in his hat, Threepence shall pay for that'.
In the churchyard is a memorial to Julius Drewe of Castle Drogo. The memorial was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, who also created the castle for the Drewe family. The Victorian Gothic "castle" is about a mile away and is administered by the National Trust.
The Church House, which began as a 16th-century brewery for the church, was converted into a school, and is now the village hall.
Location: Drewsteignton, West Devon, Devon, EX6
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Drewsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Drewsteignton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Inside the church is a memorial board commemorating men who lost their lives in World War Two. Its inscription reads:
- IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COMMONWEALTH IN THE WAR OF 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES) (CASE FOR BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE) HOLY TRINITY DREWSTEIGNTON/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATITUDE AND/ THANKSGIVING FOR ALL WHO SERVED AND RETURNED/ FROM THE 1939 - 1945/ WORLD WAR
There are six names on the wooden memorial board, with rank and regiment.
- British Listed Buildings information for the Church of the Holy Trinity.
- History of Drewsteignton Parish.
- Facebook page for Holy Trinity Church
- 1960 photo of the Church