Location: Claiborne, Louisiana, United States
Surnames/tags: Claiborne_Parish Louisiana
This is the page for Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. The goal of this project is to create well-sourced profiles for every resident of Claiborne Parish, from its inception to the present day, and connect those profiles to the Global Family Tree.
The first white settler arrived in the region in 1818, and the parish was formed in 1828. Based on the census, its peak population was 32,285 in 1930. In the 2010 Census, the parish had a population of 17,195.
Contact Sarah Heiney if you would like to volunteer to help with this project.
The bulk of the work for this project consists of three main tasks: creating profiles, profile improvement, and profile connection.
We need to create profiles of people who lived in Claiborne Parish. Multiple sources should be consulted before any profile is created.
We can improve those profiles by adding categories and writing biographies. Some pre-existing Claiborne Parish profiles have "gedcom junk" or duplicated sections from messy merges, and these could use a cleanup.
Ultimately, we want every profile to connect to the Global Family Tree. Sometimes this is a quick process, but sometimes it requires deeper research that could lead outside of Claiborne Parish.
Currently, we are working through the 1850-1870 Censuses, and there are thousands of profiles to create, connect, and improve. If you want to help with this effort--even if you can only contribute a small amount--contact Sarah.
If you are interested in researching a specific topic, such as Early Settlers or Military Veterans who lived in Claiborne, we would be happy to work with you--let us know!
- Claiborne Parish, Louisiana on Wikipedia
- The History of Claiborne Parish, Louisiana published in 1886
- Family Search, Guide to Claiborne Parish ancestry, family history, and genealogy - an index to records online and in print, including birth, marriage, death, census, family history, and military records
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Wes Miller, One Place Studies Project WikiTree, and Sarah Heiney. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)