Surnames/tags: Scottish_Clans Agnew
Welcome to Clan Agnew
The origin of the name Agnew is disputed, although it is generally asserted to have been Norman, from the Barony d'Agneaux. The Agnews first settled in England but later appear in Liddesdale, Scotland towards the end of the 12th century.
A separate origin has also been suggested through the Celtic natives of Ulster, the O'Gnimh, who were the hereditary poets or bards of the O'Neills of Clanaboy, and who acquired the anglicized name of Agnew. In English the name was first written as O'Gnyw and O'Gnew. This would give the Agnews a shared origin with the Clan Donald from Somerled, who was the 12th century King of the Isles.
|Clan Agnew Team|
- Clan Chief: Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw, 11th Baronet. Chief of Clan Agnew. Succeeded in 1975.
- Crest: An eagle issuant and reguardant Proper
- Motto: CONSILIO NON IMPETU ("By Council, not by Force")
- Slogan/War Cry: AGNEW! ("Agnew!")
- Region: Lowlands
- Historic Seat: Dumfries and Galloway
- Plant badge:
- Pipe music:
- Gaelic name: MacGniomh
The focus of this team's work is to identify, improve and maintain profiles associated with the Lairds and Chiefs of Clan Agnew, as well as Clan members bearing the name Agnew, the related families and those recognised as septs of Clan Agnew.
Team To Do List
This list will be developed by the Team. If you are working on a specific task, please list it here:
- promoting the entries of those bearing the name Agnew on Wikitree.
- ensuring entries appearing on Wikitree are as accurate as possible, correcting mistakes once spotted.
- encouraging interest in and study of Clan Agnew.
Please add known Septs of this Clan, and link to associated Clan Pages, as needed.
Clan Agnew History
Please add sourced information about this Clan's history here.
This section contains known branches of the Clan.
- Agnew baronets
- Agnelli family of Itay
Other Names Associated with the Clan
Any variant spellings of Agnew
Clan Research and Free Space Pages
Add other Free Space Pages as needed. Project approved pages include:
Image Credits and Acknowledgements
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)