Surnames/tags: Scottish_Clans Chisholm
Welcome to Clan Chisholm
|Clan Chisholm Team|
|Team Members||Gordon Chisholm, David Douglas, Ginger Lawton|
- Clan Chief: Andrew Francis Hamish Chisholm of that Ilk, 33rd Chief of Clan Chisholm. Succeeded in 1997.
- Crest: Gules a boar's head couped Or langued Azure
- Motto: Feros ferio (I am fierce with the fierce)
- Slogan/War Cry:
- Region: Highlands
- Historic Seat:
- Plant badge:
- Pipe music: Chisholm's March
- Gaelic name:
The focus of this team's work is to identify, improve and maintain profiles associated with the Lairds and Chiefs of Clan Chisholm together with members bearing the name Chisholm, the related families and those recognised as septs of Clan Chisholm.
Team To Do List
This list will be developed by the Team. If you are working on a specific task, please list it here:
- promoting the entries of those bearing the name Chisholm on Wikitree.
- ensuring entries appearing on Wikitree are as accurate as possible, correcting mistakes once spotted.
- encouraging interest in and study of Clan Chisholm.
According to a 19th-century historian, Alexander Mackenzie, the Clan Chisholm is of Norman and Saxon origin. Tradition stating that the Chisholms were a Norman family who arrived in England after the Norman conquest of 1066. The original Norman name being De Chese to which the Saxon term "Holme" was added upon the marriage of a Norman ancestor to a Saxon heiress. According to the Collins Scottish Clan & Family Encyclopedia the Chishom name was known in the Scottish Borders since the reign of Alexander III of Scotland. In early records the name is written as "de Cheseholme", eventually later becoming Chisholm. In Scotland the earliest recorded person of the family is on the Ragman Rolls as "Richard de Chisholm del Counte de Rokesburgh", referring to the Clan Chisholm's seat in Roxburghshire. 
Other Names Associated with the Clan
- Clan MacDonald of Lochalsh
Clan Research and Free Space Pages
Image Credits and Acknowledgements
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)