|Seal of Clinton County
Clarksville is a village in the western part of Vernon Township, on the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railroad. It was laid out April 27, 1816 by William Hadley, proprietor. The surveying was done by Peyton West. In 1858, the boundaries were extended.
Samuel T. Louden built the first cabin and opened a Tavern in Clarksville. The first saddle and harness maker was John Hadley. Samuel Hyde was the first cabinet maker. John Kelley was probably the first tailor. James Marrow was the first and only distiller.
Legend has it that Clarksville was named after Mrs. Sarah Clark Hadley.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)