- Who are the parents of Ruth A. Gardiner?
- Born about 1790 (there are som descrepancies in the records which would put her birth 1786 to 1796.
- Married 22 November 1807 and had two children.
- Died 25 January 1880 in Bowdoinham, Sagadahoc, Maine
- Ancestry.com trees make her a daughter of Peleg Gardiner and Mary Marshall and granddaughter of William Marshall by Eleanor Trafton. Can this be confirmed or rejected?
- Georgetown Historical Society Records for William Marshall.
- William Marshall
- Married 1st Margaret Drummond 10 March 1750. Five children recorded 1750 to 1759 - Jane, Catherine, Margaret, James, Frances.
- Married 2nd Eleanor (Hutchins) Trafton on 12 May 1763. She was the widow of Zacheus Trafton (m. 25 Sep 1756 ). No children given.
- - If this couple had a daughter Mary born say 1764 she certainly could be the mother Ruth born in 1790.
- This source gives him a daughter Mary. Key here is he also had a daughter Arabella which is used as a name for a daughter of Ruth Gardiner!
- From the Descendants of Alexander Drummond of Georgetown, Maine:
- "William Marshall came to this country in 1746, being then 19 years old, from a place in Ireland, a few miles from Londonderry. He came with Capt. William Stinson, and settled at first on the east side of the Kennebec River, but shortly after he bought 100 acres of land on the west side, and settled in Bath, where he lived and died. He married (int. Mar. 10, 1750) Margaret Drummond (No. 18 Drummond Fam.). She was born in Georgetown, May 31, 1733, and after her death he married, May 12, 1763, Mrs. Elanor Trafton of Georgetown, who already had a son Jotham. By his second wife he had William Jr., Arabella, Mary and John. She dying, he married, in his old age, Sarah Hall, who survived him. He died at the age of 83, and in his will dated Jan. 30, 1810, probated May 12, 1814, he mentions wife Sarah."
- Can we find this will dated Jan. 30, 1810, probated May 12, 1814?
- OK, so we have William Marshall and Eleanor Hutchins having a daughter Mary in the right place and the right time, supported by the use of the unusual name Arabella. Can we show Peleg Gardiner married Mary Marshall?
Check this record: "Maine Marriages, 1771-1907," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F4XB-R27 : 10 February 2018), John Gray and Arabella Marshal, 20 Nov 1792; citing Bath,Sagadahoc,Maine, reference ; FHL microfilm 10,562.
- ↑ "Maine Marriages, 1771-1907," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F4FZ-YWG : 10 February 2018), William Marshall and Eleanor Trafton, 12 May 1763; citing Georgetown,Sagadahoc,Maine
- ↑ Drummond, Josiah Hayden, et al. The Descendants of Alexander Drummond of Georgetown, Maine: Including those by the name of Campbell, Chamberlain, Crane, Morse, Eves, Grace, Keith, Marshall, Rogers and Williams. (Brattleboro, Vermont: Vermont Printing Company, 1942), page 114, "Marshall Family"