Surnames/tags: Coggrave Cograve Coggreve
|Map showing location of Copgrove|
My great-grandmother was a Coggrave. The earliest Coggrave ancestor I have traced so far is Robert Coggrave, who died in 1688 in Hemingbrough, Yorkshire. The other Coggraves I've found during my research have – with only a few exceptions – been from Yorkshire, or have been descended from people born there.
The Coggrave Name Study is a brand-new project. Bear with me while I get things up and running.
It serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Coggrave name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Coggrave name.
|Numbers of Coggrave births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales, 1840-1999.|
Questions I would like to attempt to answer are...
- Are all Coggraves related?
- Who are the earliest Coggraves we can trace?
- Is the surname in danger of extinction?
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (English Coggraves), by time period (18th Century Coggraves), or by topic (Coggrave DNA, Coggrave occupations, Coggrave statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
England and Wales
- Create profiles for all Coggraves who appear on the England and Wales census returns between 1841–1891
- Search for any additional births, marriages and deaths from GRO indexes
- Search for any other baptism, marriage and burial parish records available online
- Identify other sources to help trace earlier Coggraves
- Search for births, marriages, deaths, burials and baptisms in other locations to be specified
- Military records
- Newspaper articles
- Create a map showing where Coggraves have lived
Though there are a lot of profiles to be created, I'm trying to make them as good as possible. I've drawn up this list of guidelines which I'm attempting to follow as much as possible:
- Aim to create a profile for everyone who had the surname Coggrave
- Make sure they're connected!
- At least one good source (and preferably more)
- Write a proper biography, not just a list of facts
- Include the project "sticker" immediately under the ==Biography== heading
- Use inline citations so that other users can see from where each fact is derived (rather than a list at the end). See: Help:Sources_Style_Guide
- Use sources that are free to access, eg. familysearch.org or freebmd.org.uk, in preference to subscription sites like Ancestry or Find My Past
- If a source is only available on a paid-for site, include your own transcription
- References should go after the punctuation if they're at the end of a sentence or a clause (without a space inbetween)
- Add relevant categories
Here are the sub-categories (by birth location) of the profiles that are part of the Coggrave project.
Here are the WikiTree profiles of everyone named Coggrave.
People born with the surname Coggrave (or its variants) have this sticker on their profile:
I'm using a version of the 'heritage' sticker to label profiles who have Coggrave ancestors but who do not carry the surname themselves:
How to join
To join the Coggrave Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
If a research page does not yet exist for your particular area of interest, please contact the Name Study Coordinator: Katie Fuller for assistance.
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Related surnames and surname variants
- One-name study sticker for descendants? May 20, 2022.
- #OneNameTuesday showcase: Coggrave Name Study Apr 5, 2022.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Katie Fuller. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
My name is Megan, I live in Canada and the Coggraves are also my family! My history with the Coggraves start with William Henry Laycock-Ventor and Lillian Coggrave.