Location: Colorado City, Mitchell, Texas, United States
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries Mitchell_County_Texas
Cemetery name: Colorado City Cemetery, aka Colorado Cemetery
Address: Located at the intersection of Hwy 208 and Business Interstate Highway 20-J in Colorado City, Mitchell County, Texas
GPS Coordinates: 32.3927994, -100.8405991
The land upon which the Colorado City Cemetery sits was originally owned by the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) fraternal organization, though there were already four graves at the site before the IOOF officially opened the cemetery in 1881. It should be noted that some accounts say the original owner of this land was The Woodmen of the World fraternal organization, and there are headstones in the cemetery with the WOTW badge upon them. However, there is also an IOOF section of the cemetery. An adjacent public cemetery was established by the city. In the 1920s the IOOF/WOTW section was deeded to the city and the two cemeteries were combined into the Colorado Cemetery. (At that time the word "City" was not used in the town name).
The first grave at the site is that of Martha Cook Sanford Gordon, buried in 1853. The first grave in the combined cemeteries is that of Clint Mooney and her brother De Jones, both of whom died in the spring of 1881. Colorado City Cemetery is still in use, and has over 7,000 graves.
- Lewis "Bud" McFadin -- Professional football player and assistant Houston Oilers coach
- William Marion Green -- Texas Ranger, Company A Frontier Battalion; founder of the Ex-Texas Rangers Association (where he was given the honorary title of "Major")
- Young Douglas McMurry -- Texas Ranger, Company B Frontier Battalion; early Mitchell County Sheriff
- Preston Chiles Coleman -- Physician; 1895-96 President of the Texas Medical Association; Vice-president for Life of the West Texas Chamber of Commerce; "Father of Texas Tech University"
- See the Colorado City Cemetery category for profiles of those who have been documented at this cemetery.
- Colorado City, Texas website page for Colorado City Cemetery
- Colorado City Cemetery at Find-a-Grave
- Hidden Ancestors page for Colorado City Cemetery
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)