Concord Cemetery - Texas Historical Marker No 17874.
Founded by the Concord Christian church in 1870, Concord Cemetery (also known as the Concord Church Cemetery) sits on 3.4 acres of land in northern Austin County and is part of the Concord Christian Church. The earliest known grave is that of Dr Buell Eastman (1807-1870), a confederate veteran and early Austin County resident, who died on December 2, 1870. John Wesley Collins (1804-1882), an early settler to the area and one of the founders of the Concord Cemetery, is buried here along with his family. Other pioneer families such as Creath, Bouldin, Dabney, Eastman and McNutt are buried at this historic cemetery and are early settlers to the area. The McNutts buried at Concord Cemetery are descendants of Robert McNutt who came to Texas in 1834 after receiving headright grants in Austin and Williamson counties; he and his family settled in Austin County. During the battle of San Jacinto, McNutt was placed in command of the baggage guard and ammunition, and was responsible for the wounded and sick. The last known burial occurred in 1973 when Arthur Guy McNutt was buried beside his wife. The landscape of the cemetery is traditional with a variety of gravestone materials and inscriptions. Some gravestones indicate military service or involvement with fraternal organizations, such as civil war veterans Japhet Collins and Robert A Husk and WWI veterans Monroe Terrell Lynn and Horace Haley McNutt. Over the years, the cemetery became overrun by brush and some of the tombstones were lost. In 2010, the cemetery was cleared by a volunteer group, which included many descendants of buried family members.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)