Location: Concord, New South Wales, Australia
Surnames/tags: hospital new_south_wales australia
Concord Repatriation General Hospital (abbreviated CRGH), commonly referred to as simply Concord Hospital, is a major hospital in New South Wales, Australia, located on Hospital Road, Concord. Prior to the Second World War, the 16-hectare (40-acre) Yaralla Estate on which the hospital is built belonged to philanthropist Thomas Walker and, subsequently, his daughter Dame Eadith Walker. A small hospital had already been established on the site, known as the Thomas Walker Convalescent Hospital. Following the death of Dame Eadith in 1937, the property was bequeathed to the Crown for development as a public hospital. The current hospital was commissioned in 1939 as a general hospital for the Australian Army. When completed in 1942, the 2,000-bed Yaralla Military Hospital (113th Australian General Hospital) was the largest hospital in the Southern Hemisphere. The main hospital building (currently known as the Multi Building) was one of the tallest buildings in Sydney when completed and its design won architects Stephenson & Turner the Sulman Award in 1946. Following the war, the hospital became a repatriation hospital for returned servicemen under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth government, with a change in name to Repatriation General Hospital, Concord (RGHC). In 1963, RGHC became a teaching hospital, Sydney Medical School, of the University of Sydney, where it is referred to as Concord Clinical School, and a major facility in the Sydney Local Health District and the former Sydney South West Area Health Service. In 1993, the hospital was transferred to the Central Sydney Area Health Service of the New South Wales Department of Health as a public hospital and renamed to the current Concord Repatriation General Hospital.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)