upload image

Concord Township, Ross County, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 204 times.
The old Schoolhouse at Roxabell

Concord Township was organized on 10 May 1803. The earliest settlers were those who obtained the land for their services in the American Revolution. Many of todays residents are descendants of those men. Historically, Concord Township was the principal home of the Shawnee of the Scioto Valley and, in 1774, they massed at "Old Chillicothe", the present site of Frankfort, to prepare for the Battle of Point Pleasant. ("Old Chillicothe" is also called "Old Town").

Capt. Robert Hoddy and his father, Richard Hoddy, came to the Scioto valley in 1796 from Harper's Ferry, Virginia. In 1799, James and Michael Bush came from Virginia and put up a mill and distillery near the site of the old Union church. Jacob Debart built a mill on an island in the North fork soon after the Bush mill was established. About 1800, Hendrick Roseboom built a house which became "The Indian Queen" tavern. The murder of Capt. Thomas Herrod, an early settler, and the killing of Wawwil-a-way was a notable event in the history of Concord township in 1803. Mr. Wolff killed Wawwil-a-way and eventually made retribution to the local tribe but the murderer of Herrod was never caught.

Sources





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.