Location: Greensville, Virginia, United States
Surnames/tags: Slavery US_Black_Heritage
This page is part of a project to further organize the National Archive's recently digitized Confederate Slave Payrolls. See:
Combined Payrolls for Greensville County to Petersburg defenses
NARA payroll numbers: 4 and 381
Link to Payroll 4 Abstracted from table. Copied names but not payment amounts. "We, the subscribers, acknowledge to have received of Capt C. H. Dimmick Engineering Corps, the sums set opposite our names respectively, being in full for the services of our Slaves at Petersburg Defenses during the month of August 1862, having signed duplicate receipts. "
- Owner: John R. Randall. Enslaved: William and Matthew
- Owner: Ann H. Batt. Enslaved: Hordy and Sam
- Owner: B. S. Bailey. Enslaved: Alex, Littleton, and Jesse
- Owner: J.R. Chambliss, Sr. Enslaved: John and Smith
- Owner: J.R. Chambliss, Jr. Enslaved: Reddick and Nick
- Owner: James W. Cook. Enslaved: Miol, Tom, Abraham, Buck, Wiley, Edwin, Bill, Maclin, and Goodwin
- https://catalog.archives.gov/id/719477 Payrolls at the National Archives. National Archives Identifier: 719477. Creator(s): War Department. The Adjutant General's Office. War Records Office. 1874-7/1/1899 (Most Recent). From: Record Group 109: War Department Collection of Confederate Records, 1825 - 1927
- https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Confederate_Slave_Payrolls_-_National_Archives_Catalog FamilySearch, list of about 2500 out of the 6000 payrolls.