Surnames/tags: melick malick
Most Melick researchers will be familiar with Andrew D. Mellick's “The Story Of An Old Farm”, which is the first (and only?) major genealogical work on the Melick family in the US. Although it is a remarkable and extremely useful source for family researchers, it is not without error, and it seems that one of those errors is that the author unwittingly conflated two John Melick/Malick's and their families. The John Melick in question appears twice, on p. 637 & 642, #24, where it appears that the father, marriage date, wife, and administration of the Appleman estate actually belong to the Hampshire Co., West Virginia John Malick (1762-1844) and the children and Ohio residence belong to the Perry County, Ohio, John Melick (1753-1834). Below is a brief summary of the known facts about each John Melick/Malick. The fact that Philip Melick's Bible with family records was passed down in the John Malick (WV) line, along with DNA testing are the most conclusive proof of this error and identifying John Malick (WV) as the correct son of Philip.
A lot of Melick researchers have been trying to untangle them for much longer than me and there are all kinds of forum posts and discussions all over the internet about it. I plan to add more information/sourcing to the appropriate profiles in the future, but it may take a while. For now, I think Melick Professional Genealogists have given a pretty good summary of the main points in the blog "Use Multiple Sources To Confirm Accuracy Of Your Family History Research". See also "In My Dutch Bible..." which tells the story of Phillip Melick's Bible being passed down through the West Virginia John Malick family. Any help from more knowledgeable researchers would be welcome, as long as there are sources to back up the facts.
John Melick of Ohio
- Parents: Disputed; not Phillip Melick as stated in Story of an Old Farm
- Spouses: Eleanor (Unknown) Melick (abt.1755-1827); Mary (Oyster) Melick (1791-1873); possibly a first wife who is either unknown or Anna Margaretha Steinrock (more research needed)
- Birth: 7 Dec 1753 in New Germantown, Hunterdon, New Jersey, USA 
- Born in New Jersey and lived there at time of Revolutionary War military service
- Turkeyfoot, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA from late 1700's until sometime between 1810 and 1820
- Perry County, Ohio from at least 1820 until death in 1834
- Death: 10 May 1834 in Somerset, Perry, Ohio, USA
- Burial: Bethel Cemetery in Perry County, Ohio
- Will: none known to exist, but a deed in which the sheriff sold his land after his death includes a list of all his heirs.
- Heirs (children) listed in post-death deed:
- John Melick
- William Melick
- Nathan Melick
- Mary Drake
- Jonas Melick
- David Melick
- George Melick
- Jane Bewley [sic, Bailey]
- Rebecca Wilson
- Each receiving one-eighth part of a one-eleventh share; supposed to be the heirs of Eleanor (Melick) Curtis: Mariah L. Curtis, Mary J. Curtis, William F. Curtis, Henry H. Curtis, Julius L. Curtis, Eleanor E. Curtis, Rebecca M. Curtis, Charles R. Curtis
- Each receiving one-tenth part of a one-eleventh share; supposed to be the heirs of Elizabeth (Melick) Jennings: Hannah Jennings, Ellen Jennings, Jane States, John Jennings, Rhoda Jennings, Rebecca Jennings, Elizabeth Jennings, Benjamin Jennings, Ursula Jennings, Margaret A. Jennings
John Malick of West Virginia
- Parents: Philip Melick (1736-1797) 
- Spouse: Mary (Todd) Malick (1762-1830) 
- Birth: 11 Jan 1762 in Bridgewater, Somerset County, New Jersey
- Somerset County, New Jersey from birth until 1787
- Berkeley County, Virginia (present day West Virginia), on Opequon Creek from 1787 until about 1796
- Hampshire County, Virginia (present day West Virginia) from about 1796 until his death in 1844
- Death: 1 Mar 1844
- Burial: Malick Cemetery in Augusta, Hampshire County, West Virginia
- Will: signed on 16 Sep 1839 and admitted to probate on 25 Mar 1844 in Hampshire County, Virginia (present day West Virginia)
- Children listed in will:
- Philip Malick
- John Malick
- David Malick
- Aaron Malick
- Uriah Malick
- Martha Horsman, widow of Joseph Horsman
- Mary Shaffer, wife of David Shaffer
- Margaret Malick
- ↑ Mellick, Andrew D., The Story of an Old Farm Or, Life in New Jersey in the Eighteenth Century, Somerville, New Jersey: The Unionist-Gazette, 1889; image copy, Google Books (https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Story_of_an_Old_Farm/mEYVAAAAYAAJ : accessed 5 Aug 2021).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 C.G. Wolfe, "In My Dutch Bible...", The Black River Journal, 2017 (https://blackriverjournal.com/history-1 - scroll down to find this article : accessed 26 Aug 2021)
- ↑ Results, "Melick Surname DNA Project", FamilyTreeDNA, (https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/melick/about/results : accessed 18 Nov 2021).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, John and Mary Melick, Service in New Jersey, W4283 & B. L. Wt 33770-160-55, NARA microfilm M804, Roll 1708. Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Record Group 15. National Archives, Washington, D.C.; database with image, "U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900," Ancestry Record 1995 #39856
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Find A Grave, database and images, memorial page for John Melick, Sr (7 Dec 1753–10 May 1834), Find A Grave: Memorial #43585572, citing Bethel Cemetery, Perry County, Ohio, USA; Maintained by d clary (contributor 47126895).
- ↑ Perry County, Ohio, Deeds, 1848-9 Vol S: p. 270-2, Sheriff Jesse Worley to William Melick, 21 Jun 1848, SW ¼ sec. 21 Madison Twp; image copy, “[Perry County, Ohio,] Deed records, 1818-1901; general index, 1818-1913,” FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/256975 : accessed 11 Oct 2018), citing film 911145, DGS 8331170, microfilm of original records at the Perry County Courthouse, New Lexington, Ohio.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/22089751/john-malick : accessed 29 October 2021), memorial page for John Malick (11 Jan 1762–1 Mar 1844), Find A Grave: Memorial #22089751, citing Malick Cemetery, Augusta, Hampshire County, West Virginia, USA; Maintained by ProjectMgr (contributor 48671833).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, John Malick, Service in New Jersey, S7177; NARA microfilm M804, roll 1617; Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Record Group 15; National Archives, Washington, D.C.; database with image, "U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900," Ancestry Record 1995 #37274
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 West Virginia, Hampshire County, Will Records, #423, John Malick, will signed 16 Sept 1839, admitted to court 25 Mar 1844; image copy, "[Hampshire County, West Virginia] Wills, 1780-1860," Nos. 201-643, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89VR-JST4?i=624&cat=655973 > images 625-6 of 1179 : accessed 29 Oct 2021).
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)