Surnames/tags: connectors_challenge connectors
Categories: Connectors Project.
Each month we'll open up a thread in G2G where you can take part by:
- Pick any WikiTree profile which is not connected to the main tree. (In other words, that profile does not have a box at the bottom of the page, showing the degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon, Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms and the changing weekly connections.) You can look for unconnected profiles using the Unconnected People tool, the Unconnected Profiles category, the Unlinked_Profiles category, the lists on the Connectors Chat or Let others know what locations you are working on pages, or you may run across an unconnected profile in the regular course of your research.
- Either add a new profile for a first degree relative (parent, spouse, sibling, or child) of the person on that profile, or else connect an existing profile on WikiTree to the profile you're working on.
- Add a source to the profiles involved in the connection showing the relationship between the two profiles. This could be a census record listing a family, a marriage record, a death record listing the spouse and/or parents, a birth record listing the parents, or any source which demonstrates that the two profiles should be connected to one another. Your source needs to be cited as closely to the style recommended on our Sources help page as possible to count towards your tally.
- If you are adding a new profile, add a second, independent source for that profile. (For example, if you add a spouse because of a marriage record, then look for a birth or death record for the spouse you're adding.) (Note: The reason for this rule isn't to discourage you from adding people. But as you have probably already learned, even official documents frequently misspell names, so adding an independent confirmation of the name helps to save other researchers time in trying to find records that don't exist, because the person's real name was not the same as showed up in the linking document.)
- Answer that month's post, creating a numbered list, and including the two profiles and the kind of source you used to make the connection. (For example: "1. Smith-123 to Jones-456 - marriage".) You only need to reply once. As you make more connections, just edit your post to add your new connections. (See the Connectors Challenge July 2016 message.)
- If you make a connection which connects either an isolated profile or an unconnected tree to the main tree, please add "Connected!" at the end of the line which made the connection.
- The tally is of branches connected, not sources or profiles added. That said, if you can add a number of sources to a profile, all the better.
- If either or both profiles you connect did not have good sources before and already existed on WikiTree, then you can also count those sources towards the Sourcerers Challenge.
To see the top connectors, sort the table by clicking on the little arrows in the connections column. Clicking on it again once it sorts can change it from a top to bottom sort.
|Last Name||First Name||Connections||Notes|
|Arrington||Jayme||42||May 2017 Top Connector|
|Dea||Paula||August 2016 Top Connector|
|Keeling||Carol||77||May 2016, June 2016, November 2016 Top Connector|
|Keniston||Bob||127||February 2017, March 2017 T-June 2017 Top Connector|
|Nelson||Jamie||31||July 2016 Top Connector|
|Redmond||G.||101||September 2017, Oct/Nov 2017 Top Connector|
|Slade||Greg||176||September 2016, October 2016 Top Connector|
|Smith||Charlotte||259||December 2016 Top Connector|
|Smith||Ellen||109||January 2017, April 2017 Top Connector|
|Thomas||Gillian||22||T-June 2017 Top Connector|
- Oct/Nov 2017 Connectors Challenge Oct 15, 2017.
- April 2017 Connectors Challenge Apr 1, 2017.
- March 2017 Connectors Challenge Mar 1, 2017.
- February 2017 Connectors Challenge! Feb 1, 2017.
- January 2017 Connectors Challenge! Jan 1, 2017.
- December 2016 Connectors Challenge! Dec 1, 2016.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Greg Slade, Abby Glann, and Bob Keniston. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 16 Oct 2017 at 05:33 GMT G. Redmond wrote:
I have been joining challenges recently but it seems really hard to get any appreciation from Wikitree. I have also volunteered to help fill in to update things like this ... but also got no response.
This is very discouraging to new users at Wikitree :(
On 2 May 2017 at 02:13 GMT Sarah (Murtaugh) Heiney wrote: