Surnames/tags: IRISH_ROOTS COUNTY_KERRY MUNSTER
This page has been accessed 336 times.
- For details of items categorized under County Kerry see the County Kerry Category
Part of the Ireland Project
- To join this project click the Munster Team Page link above.
|Kerry Coat of arms
- Motto - Comhar, Cabhair, Cairdeas - Co-operation, Help, Friendship
- Country - Ireland
- Province - Munster
- County town - Tralee
- Area Total - 4,746 km2 (1,832 sq mi)
- Area rank - 5th
- Population - 145,502
- Rank - 14th
- Irish name - Contae Chiarraí
Naming Patterns in Irish Families
- This traditional naming pattern was often used by Irish parents until the later 19th century:
- First son usually named for the father's father
- Second son usually named for the mother's father
- Third son usually named for the father
- Fourth son usually named for the father's eldest brother
- Fifth son usually named for the mother's eldest brother
- First daughter usually named for the mother's mother
- Second daughter usually named for the father's mother
- Third daughter usually named for the mother
- Fourth daughter usually named for the mother's eldest sister
- Fifth daughter usually named for the father's eldest sister.
Genealogy Resources for County Kerry
- County Kerry has three major cities: Listowel, Killarney and Tralee.
- County Kerry is in the CASHEL ecclesiastical parish district . This is important to know when you research church records in Kerry.
- Generally, for Kerry records research, pre-1864, you will usually need to deal with Irish church records. - See more at: Pre-1864
- For records of births, marriages and deaths after 1864, your search will be in the Irish civil registration system. - See more at: Post -1864
- Keep up on the latest news on new record uploads and standard Irish genealogical research at John Grenham, who writes for the Irish Times, and Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News.
- Forebears site for Kerry
- GENUKI County Kerry
- National Library of Ireland. The collection of images of records is amazing here.
- Ireland, Burial Index, 1600-1927 FREE at Ancestry ( let me know if the FREE link does not work for you )TIP: Hover over the 'View Record' to see further information, i.e. do not click on it.
- County Kerry, Ireland, Burial Index FREE at Ancestry ( let me know if the FREE link does not work for you ). Burial Index. 1898-2010. TIP: Hover over the 'View Record' to see further information, i.e. do not click on it. If you click on it, it takes you to the already free "Kerry Local Authorities - Graveyard Records".
- Ancestry Irish collection and Irish Records Notice there are only two Kerry genealogy categories at Kerry records at Ancestry.Paid site only
- Free Griffith's Valuation Plug in the county KERRY
- Cyndi's List for County Kerry
- Find My Past Irish Collections Paid site only except they do have FREE search specials occasionally which I will post in G2G so put the County_Kerry TAG in your profile so you will get the announcements on your navigation page. Supposedly, Find My Past has a better search capability which I tried on a free weekend. See Why I use Find My Past
- From Ireland
- Irish Genealogy Toolkit Claire Santry listed her toolkit. Make sure to follow through all her links for great general research tips.
- Kerry Local Authorities -- Graveyard Records Search, Browse, Locate burial grounds in County Kerry.
- Roots Ireland Paid site only BUT WARNING: NO KERRY RECORDS
- Rootsweb Kerry Ireland site
- County Kerry Genealogy FamilySearch Wiki
- Irish Genealogy IE. The Irish government site of records indexed. Very comprehensive, great search features. By the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.
- Random links ~
Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages:
Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments:
Login to post.
(Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)