Surnames/tags: Crawford Craufurd Crauford
About the Project
The Crawford Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the CRAWFORD name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Crawford name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (Scotland Crawford's), by time period (18th Century Crawford's), or by topic (Crawford DNA, Crawford Occupations, Crawford Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Crawford Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study.
If you have questions or need assistance with DNA, please contact Jonathan Crawford, our DNA Research contact.
General Research Resources
- Name Origins
- Scottish Clan Branches
- Crawford Name Study Statistics
- Crawford Name Study Census Records
Contentious and/or Conflated Lineages
- James Crafford of the Waxhaws Lineage
- Crawford and Hutchinson Lineage
- John Crawford of Ayrshire, Scotland and Virginia, United States
- Disambiguation David Crawford
- Lancaster County, South Carolina Crawfords
- York County, South Carolina Crawfords
- Colonel William Crawford (Colony of Virginia) Family Line
Please see Crawford Name Study - Member Research Areas for a more detailed outline of research areas.
- Amy Gilpin - Crawfords in Scotland and Ontario
- Jim Parsons - Crawford Family Researcher
- Janelle Weir- Researching Ayrshire, Scotland, also unsourced Crawfords
- Terri Crowell
- Jane Renton - Crawfords in Lanarkshire, Scotland
- Susan Yarbrough - Lanarkshire, Scotland
- Traci Thiessen - Crawford family in Pennsylvania, possibly New York and, in Iowa. Brick Wall research assistance needed.
- Chris (Sharp) MacNeill - Crawfords of Loudoun, Ayrshire.
- Alex Stronach - Scotland and Ontario Crawfords
- Joelle Coville-Hanson - Crawfords from Scotland to South Carolina
- Alana Bowman - Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Crawfords
- MaryAnn Thomas My study will begin with my 4th great grandmother, Elizabeth (Crawford) Minter (1757 - 1829). I am wanting to confirm my connection to the Crawford's of Scotland Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Crawfords
- Heather Crawford - Lanarkshire
- Lex (Creel) Bakarich DVM, ACLAM - Georgia Crawfords
- Jonathan Crawford - Crawford and variant DNA
- Eleanor (Holmes) Colson
- Virginia (Kline) Norris Ph.D.
- Luke Brady - Virginia Crawfords circa 1860 and earlier
- Keith Sevek Sr. -
- Mark Breuer - William Crawford of Philadelphia
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
This study includes the variants:
- Craufurd (Traditional Scottish Spelling)
- de Crawford (Anglo spelling pre-1500)
Possible Misspellings or Other Variants
- Crofferd - Knox County, Tennessee, USA
- Crauford - origin unknown at this time
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Amy Gilpin, One Name Studies WikiTree, and Jonathan Crawford. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)