"Cushing's Drugs, 1892-1982
Cushing's Drugs was a part of the fabric of the Village for 90 years. It was founded in 1892 in a two-story, wooden-frame building just a few doors south from its long-recognized location at 33 Central.
Franklin Seth Cushing , who did just about everything in those days-real estate, insurance, loans - was the founder of Cushing's. The store stayed in the Cushing name for three generations as a son and grandson would become owners.
The old drug store filled prescriptions, sold health commodities and specialized in “delicious 5 cent sodas.”
Franklin was born in 1865 in Wyoming, N.Y. He came to Lancaster in 1892, started the business and married the former Lucy Hamilton of Silver Creek. In addition to his loan, insurance and real estate ventures, he also sold sand and ice. At one time or another he was Village Postmaster, Village Clerk, Village Trustee and the founder of the Ellicott Drug Co. of Buffalo. Franklin also managed his time between the Elks, Orioles, Redmen, Knights of Pythias, and his farm. He had four children, one of whom Robert H. (below) owned the drug store. In 1970 grandson, Thomas Seth Cushing, took over.
Franklin retired in 1922. He died in 1933 following a long illness and was buried in the Lancaster Rural Cemetery. He was 69 years old. The family homestead still stands at the corner of Como Park and Lake Ave.
The drug store burned in the 1896 fire and was rebuilt. It was remodeled in 1925 and doubled in size in 1950. In 1962 an addition was built at the rear of the store with an entrance from the Clark Street parking lot."(1)
- (1) Lancaster Memories, A Pictorial History, By Mary Jo Monnin, Published by Dick Young Fire Services Publishing LLC Copyright : 2016