Surnames/tags: data_doctors db_error_106
Categories: DD Suggestions Help.
Description of Hint - 106: Duplicates between global tree and unconnected
This unconnected profile has the same full name, and birth and death date as another connected profile. These two profiles are possibly duplicates and need to be merged. With this action, the unconnected profile(s) will be connected to the global tree.
Content of info column: Compare link. Click on this link to compare both profiles, and their relatives, in question for differences.
- The creation of a profile for the same person again by GEDCOM import or accidentally by one user.
- The creation of a profile for the same person again accidentally by different users.
- It is important to compare all data for each profile to be certain they are the same person before merging.
- If parents are attached, review the mother and father of each listed profile before proposing a merge. Make sure the fathers are the same by Wiki-ID as well as the mothers.
- If all information clearly shows the profiles to be duplicates, propose a merge for them. Then set the status from the error report page as "Proposed Merge." This is only done once for both profiles.
- If based on the profile information and/or sources you find the two profiles do not represent the same person, mark the status as a False Error.
- If the parents do not have the same Wiki-ID...
- Review the fathers and/or mothers side by side. If they are duplicates, again, make sure the mothers and fathers of these profiles are the same by Wiki-ID before proposing a merge. Occasionally, you may have to go up a couple of generations and propose merges of all parents, grandparents and great grandparents, etc. in the line. This is rare. Parents should always be merged before children.
- If there is too much conflicting information to comfortably merge the parents, OR they are different parents, leave a message on BOTH profiles for the profile manager(s) with all possible information regarding the needed merge. Set the status for this error as "Not Corrected" and the comment as "Unable to merge due to conflicting parents. Message(s) left for PM."
- NOTE: Propose the merge of the profiles in the direction of the one with the lowest WikiTree ID. Read the help pages on merging for more information.
For each Hint you can set status. You can set it as Corrected, Not corrected, False Hint, Proposed merge or just add a Comment.
If there are related errors for the profile, you will also see them on status page.
Full description is available on Status Help Page.
Questions and Discussions on this Hint
You can read what other people have asked here db_error_106.
You can also share your best practices, experiences, problems about this Hint by posting a questions in G2G. If you create a new G2G discussion for this Hint add tag data_doctors and db_error_106.
This error is checked only for profiles with entered birth and death date. An unconnected profile must be unique in the combination of full name, birth and death date. Orphan profiles are ignored.
In the db_Errors project, I build a tree based on data in the database dump. And in the dump, protected profiles are excluded, private and private with public bio don't have parent relations and all private profiles don't have marriages. So in absence of this data my global tree is smaller than WikiTree's. It's size in Nov 2016 is 7,028,366 out of 10M+ profiles. It could be called public global tree.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Robin Rainford, John Morgan, Janet Wild, Aleš Trtnik, Karen Hoy, and Sheryl Moore. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)