Location: Claggan, Lissan, Derry, Ireland
Surnames/tags: crooks bell
- Party 1 Name: David Crooks
- Party 2 Name: Nancy Bell
- Date of Event: 11 Mar 1862
- Group Registration ID: 3313320
- SR District/Reg Area: Magherafelt.
- Irish Civil Registration entry.
Marriage certificate details
- Location: Claggin(sic), Parish of Lissan, Union of Magherafelt, County Derry.
- 11 Mar 1862.
- David Crooks, full age, Bachelor, Farmer.
- Resident of Claggan, Lissan, Derry.
- Son of Robert Crooks, Farmer.
- Nancy Bell, 19, Spinster.
- Resident of Dunmore, Lissan, Tyrone.
- Daughter of James Bell, Farmer.
- Witnesses: James Crooks, Thomas Harkness.
The writing of 1862 is not entirely clear, I read it as 1863 at first. However, there is a golden wedding celebration notice in NZ newspaper for 1912.
Golden wedding notice
CROOKS—BELL.— At the Presbyterian Church, Claggon, Ireland. 1862, by the Rev. Wilson, Cookstown, Ireland, David Crooks to Nancy Bell.
Family Bible transcription
According to some private notes I have viewed, the following transcription of David and Nancy's family bible was typed up by a child of William Bell Crooks (1875-1943) in the 1970s or 1970s; although the information has been lost as to which child.
|David Crooks||1832||died 10.10.1916|
|Nancy Bell||Jan 1841||died 3.5.1925|
|James Archer||25.3.1863||one son|
|Robert Mitchell||19.7.1866||died 2.12.50|
|Martha||22.5.1870||died in Ireland|
|Anney||3.9.1871||died in Ireland|
|David Benson||25.6.1873||died aged 5yrs NZ|
|William Bell||29.6.1875||died 1943 NZ|
|Anney Caroline||31.3.1882||Miss America born NZ|
(I have typed up the table exactly as it appears on the transcription -- clearly there are at least two errors; the birth date of Robert Mitchell , and the death date of Nancy Bell has been transposed from 5.3)
The family emigrated to Auckland, New Zealand on the "LADY JOCELYN" sailed 6 May or 20 May 1878 (I guess this refers to different ports for picking up passengers):
Irish geography notes
- Lissan is a civil parish that spans two counties.
- Clagan (commonly spelt "Claggan") is a townland in Lissan Parish and County Londonderry
- Category: Dunmore Townland, Lissan Parish, County Tyrone is a townland in Lissan Parish and County Tyrone.
- The border of these two townlands is the border between the counties.
- Magherafelt is a Poor Law Union of County Londonderry.
- Cookstown is a Poor Law Union of County Tyrone. (As far as I can tell, the border of these two unions matches the county border in this case).
- There are also Electoral Districts (aka. Registrar's Districts -- not to be confused with Superintendent Registrar's Districts), as if we didn't have enough districting already... Clagan is in Moneymore, and Dunmore is in Cookstown.