Researching Smiths is never easy. With my Smith family, DNA has revealed some interesting possibilities. This page is designed to collate all these different Smith lines, the DNA that connects us, and to plan additional Smith research.
- Focus of next research is to thoroughly research Joseph Hamilton Smith.
- My ancestor, Ephraim George Smith, in our genealogies has the following siblings, born every 2 years from 1819 through 1831:
- Joseph (born 1817) DNA matches
- Warren (born 1819) see Alpha Warren Smith (born 1827) DNA matches
- Nelson (born 1821) see Nelson Lafayette Smith (born 1832) DNA matches
- Charles (born 1823)
- Purlina (born 1825) see Paulina (Smith) Foster (born 1822) DNA matches
- Jane (born 1827) DNA matches, but married to a Taylor who is also a relative.
- Mary (born 1829) see Mary M. (Smith) Rust (born 1833) DNA matches
- Mariah (born 1831)
Here is a timeline of the siblings:
|1814||Joseph born||Saratoga Springs, New York|
|1815||Ephraim born||New York|
|1822||Paulina born||New York|
- A photograph of Frank, described as the son of Joe Smith, noted that Frank was a cousin to Caroline Elizabeth Smith Coulter. The photograph was taken in Oregon, Missouri. DNA pointed to relationships with descendants of Joseph Hamilton Smith and Jane Clarissa (Smith) Taylor.
- Some of these DNA matches list the following people in their trees:
- Father: Daniel Ephraim Smith, born 7 July 1786 in New York
- Mother: Pheba.
Pheba Variations in different trees
- Phebe 1 "Phebe Garnsey Davison" who has dates of 25 MAY 1795 in Pennsylvania to 5 APR 1878 (this one seems to be an inaccurate conflation with another person, derived from this Find a Grave page: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/74546004). This tree, managed by N M B-G lists the following children for Phebe:
- Dorthena D Smith 1812–1824
- Joseph H Smith 1814–
- William Smith 1814–
- Ephrain G Smith 1815–
- Sarah Smith 1817–
- Daniel D Smith 1819–1938
- Paulina Smith (Hammond) (Foster) 1822–1914
- Charlin Smith 1823–
- Alpha W. Smith 1826–
- Alpha Warren Smith 1827–1909
- Jane Clarissa Smith (Taylor) 1828–1911
- Mary Smith 1830–
- Fayette N Smith 1832–
- Nelson Lafayette Smith 1832–1919
- Orvilla Smith 1834–1834
- J Nathan Smith 1836–1836
- Harriet M Smith 1839–
- N M B-G's tree lists this census record as belonging to Daniel and Phebe: "United States Census, 1850," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MX3X-SK3 : 12 April 2016), Daniel Smith, Mohican, Ashland, Ohio, United States; citing family 153, NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- In Family Search, the Harriet in that 1850 census record is said to have lived from 1839 to after 1880. Based on the information given in her profile, it seems unlikely that this 1850 census record with its Daniel and Phebe has anything to do with my ancestors. Since N M B-G's tree is replete with errors, it can only be considered as a site of potential clues.
- Phebe 2 Phebe Davis is a name given to Pheba in Family Search trees. The only information given for Phebe is that she was born in 1794 and is married to David Smith, who was born in 1784. The children listed for them in Family Search are:
- Joseph Smith, 1817–Deceased (KZ6F-GYL)
- Charles Smith, 1823–Deceased (K84Z-CGV)
- Purlina Smith, 1825–Deceased (K4LZ-Q69)
- Jane Smith, 1827–Deceased (MWSC-94Q)
- Alpha Warren Smith, 1827–1909 (LVNF-HGD)
- Mary Smith, 1829–Deceased (KCCT-H4C)
- Mariah Smith 1831–Deceased (KZLH-NQ4)
- Nelson Lafayette Smith 1832–1919 (LDPT-1Z3)
- Of these profiles, the only two which have been developed with spouses, offspring, and death dates are Alpha Warren Smith and Nelson Lafayette Smith. In this tree, the following profiles in Family Search have no sources at all: Mary, Mariah, Jane, Purlina, Charles, and Joseph.
- The information on Alpha Warren Smith matches what's available on a Wikitree profile I created forAlpha Warren Smith
- Phebe 3 Phebe Davison, born 29 March 1794 M L C is largely unsourced. In this tree, the following children are listed for Daniel (born 7 JUL 1786) and Phebe Smith:
- Daniel D. Smith (1819-1938) (no sources added)
- Paulina Smith (1822-1914) (spouse Richard Foster; has sources)
- Clarissa Jane Smith (1828-1911) (spouse John C. Taylor; has sources)
Clarissa Jane Smith
- MLC's tree lists the following children for Clarissa Jane Smith and John C. Taylor:
- Lewis Alanza Taylor (1846–1865)
- Harriet Almira Taylor (1847–1874)
- William Elza Taylor (1849–1892)
- Melissa Orvilla Taylor (1851–1860)
- Amelia Malvina Taylor (1852–1891)
- Anna Myrtle Taylor (1861–1862)
- Foster Edison Taylor (1866–1936)
- While there is no explicit evidence for this, my theory is that Clarissa Jane Smith is Ephraim George Smith's sister, while John C. Taylor is Marie Taylor's brother. It would be great if a source could be found which mentioned this connection explicitly.
- Looking under David Smith, the only relatives listed in Thrulines as descendants of Ephraim George Smith are my cousin Bill and his kids. Since I have found other DNA descendants of Ephraim (notably of his daughter Myrtle Cox), we might not show as matches because of our trees.
- The other DNA relatives listed are descended from
- Paulina Smith (married to Foster). Two DNA matches.
- Alpha Warren Smith. One DNA match.
- Jane Clarissa Smith. Eight DNA matches--4 descended from Harriet Taylor, 2 descended from William Taylor, 1 descended from Amelia Taylor, and 1 descended from Foster Taylor.
Theoretically, Paulina Smith is the Purlina Smith in our tree, and Alpha Warren Smith is Warren Smith in our tree. Dates don't match up, but there could easily be errors in every tree.
- Looking under Pheba, our matches are with descendants of Joseph Hamilton Smith, through his children
- Angeline (who married Van Houten) Three DNA matches and
- Joseph H. Smith, Jr. Two DNA matches
Thrulines considers all of these relationships as half-relationships because we have different names for our Pheba/Phebe's and David/Daniels.
- Trees which list Davidson or Davis as surnames for Pheba/Phebe may be accurate. However, the sources which turned her into a Davidson attached inaccurate sources, and the Davis surname has no sources added. Similarly, the trees which call David Daniel have inaccurate sources attached. Since these trees are in Ancestry, it is probable that they will never be corrected. Of course, I have no sources for the names I use aside from Ort's and Orra's efforts. But it seems as though a fruitful line of research would be to disprove their Daniel/Phebe and prove our David/Pheba.
- Discrepancies in birth years and name variations all need to be researched as thoroughly as possible.
- Some of these "new" siblings for Ephraim may bring further clues to light if they are researched more thoroughly. I should also search for book sources.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)