Surnames/tags: Tennessee DeMoss Name Study
The goal of this project is to ...add any/ALL Research regarding the DISPUTE of the Maryland, to Virginia, to the Carolina's to Tennessee, to Louisiana DeMoss Lineage.
Right now this project just has one member, me.
- I am Carole Taylor.
- A DeMoss Descendant, who contacted me to help make the lineage TRUE.
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them, and could use your help.
- because of a very deeply felt plea from the James DeMoss, born Sept 8 1728, Descendants, remove/place all RESEARCH found on the f-a-g MEMORIAL (Memorial 127381500) and place it on the wikitree PROFILE.
- Research the parents, LOCATE a source to prove the paper trail along with the DNA if possible.
- Depending on the findings change the parents to match the CITATIONS found.
- To Research, and update the PROFILES with any DATA that is located.
- IF it DISPUTES what the Manager has on the profiles please do not just delete but add the "FREE SPACE" and move it here. If there is already a "1st SOURCE" then we need to add not delete...
- James DeMoss b: 8 Sep 1728 -Harford County, Maryland--Phoebe Cox — mar:1748 in Virginia
- Louis Demoss B: circa 1690 h/o Catherine (Callot) Demoss — mar:Aug 1714-Baltimore, Maryland
- Lewis DeMoss
- I am working on this DATA Received... Taylor-25258 08:16, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- Taylor-25258 21:59, 8 March 2021 (UTC)Sent: Sun, Mar 7, 2021 7:52 pm
- Subject: Carolina and Tennessee DeMoss update
- THE DEMOSS FAMILY THAT CAME TO LOUISIANA
- Subject: Carolina and Tennessee DeMoss update
- "As has been the oral tradition that several DeMoss of Bellevue family has recounted, from the book THE DEMOSS FAMILY THAT CAME TO LOUISIANA.
- The book gives the genealogy of the Louisiana DeMoss line from Abraham DeMoss to Henry Lee DeMoss and his descendants.
- Recounting of James DeMoss' of Bellevue, TN owning land in North Carolina that he goes back to sell in 1800, and then returns to Bellevue, TN.
- James DeMoss and Zana were co-founders of Bellevue, TN. James gave over part of his property for a cemetery in Bellevue where he and Zana were buried.
- Joanna DeMoss October 1, 1754 - December 5, 1854
- married twice , she was buried under the last name Haworth in Old Hopewell Cemetery, Indiana.
- "Benjamin Van Horn (misspelled Van Churn) 1750 - February 27. 1802 m 1783 South Carolina . No evidence of yet of them having children, no DNA submissions from anyone claiming to be a descendant. He is listed on a 1790 Census as having one male and one female child under 16 living in his household.
- George H. Haworth 1749-1837 m 1807 , no issue with George. He had 10 children with a first wife Susannah Dillon .
- Several Phoebe DNA matches have been identified as being related to the Bellevue/Nashville DeMoss descendants of James and Phoebe Cox. They are only matched on DNA test sites none have submitted a test to the DNA project for deeper study.
- A direct line mtDNA descendant of Phoebe Cox has been identified and tested, both autosomal DNA and mtDNA haplogroup from Phoebe Cox identified as H1a. The sample subject exhibits extensive X matches to the Bellevue, Tennessee DeMoss descendants that make claim from all the identified children of Zana Taylor and James DeMoss other than Joanna of which has not had any descendants come forward." (A DeMoss Descendant, of f-a-g)
- All RESEARCH records from the f-a-g MEMORIAL, as Creator, I am moving these RESEARCH items over
- NEW RESEARCH Feb 2016
-  on all, BEFORE we add any biography to the MEMORIAL itself.
- Louis married Catherine Callett (?) circa. 1712-St. John's Parish, Baltimore County, Maryland.
- Father of the following known children;
- 1) Catherine (married James Crabtree)
- 2) Louis II
- 3) William
- 4) John
- 5) Peter
- 6) Jane
- 7) Thomas B:1726 (mar.:Abiah Beach-DeMoss)
- 8) James B:1728 (mar.: Phoebe COX-DeMoss)
- 9) Charles
- (Siblings list from the memorial of Louis DeMoss-thank you)
- NOT that ancestry is a source, but the Marriage record if we can get a SHARED version...
Repository: Name: Ancestry.com Title: U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Author: Yates Publishing Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and elect ronic databases. Originally, the information was derived Page: Source number: 2713.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: JCF. Note: http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=worldmarr_ga&h=330485&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt Text: Birth date: 1728 Birth place: MD Marriage date: 1748 Marriage place: Repository: Name: Ancestry.com Title: Family Data Collection - Births Author: Edmund West, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Note: http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=genepoolb&h=1244645&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt Note: Text: Birth date: 8 September 1728 Birth place: Baltimore, MD, USA
as per the DeMoss Family tree on rootsweb.com Feb 2016 '*********************************************************
- New data from Cuz' Joshua DeMoss
- "Joanna DeMoss b: 1 October 1754 in Virginia, "
- "The major revelations come with the family of Thomas DeMoss (1726). (Senior)
- First: there is a 1752 marriage record from Morristown, NJ that ties him to Abiah Beach.
- After marriage, they moved to Virginia, eventually settling in Bedford County by 1774.
- Second: Their children are as follows:
1. Louis DeMoss (1753-1820) who married Hannah Greer. (daughter of John/Nancy Walker-GREER, John being the son of John/Sarah Day-GREER)
2. Tabitha DeMoss (1756) who married John Chartier and had a daughter Abiah Beach Chartier DeMoss (1800-1892).
3. Sarah "Sallie" DeMoss (1757-1854) married Skelton Taylor (many of Louis DeMoss' (1753) descendants took the name Skelton).
4. James DeMoss (1758-1813) married Zana Taylor in Bedford County.
5. George DeMoss (1765) moved to Mississippi.
6. William L. DeMoss (1768-before 1830) married Priscilla Greer (daughter of Joseph/Ann Lowe Greer).
7. Thomas DeMoss (1770) (JUNIOR) married Ann Greer, 1798 (daughter of Joseph/Ann Lowe Greer).
Later in 1783, Thomas--(1726) (Senior) marries Ann Lowe Greer, widow of Joseph.
There are military, tax, and marriage records that tie Thomas (1726) to Bedford County from 1774 to 1783. There are court records that tie Thomas (1726) to Franklin County, VA from 1786-1788.
I have no records for him after that.