Location: Newcastle, New Castle County, Delaware, United States
Surnames/tags: Deputy Townsend
- Date: 15 Apr 1837 
- This Indenture made the fifteenth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty seven by and between Samuel Townsend of St George's Hundred in the County of New Castle and State of Delaware and Rachel his wife late Rachel Deputy of the one part and John L Deputy of Red Lion Hundred in the County and State aforesaid of the other part.
- Witnesseth that whereas John Deputy of St George's Hundred County and State aforesaid by a Deed duly executed under the hands and seals of Benjamin Griffith and Mary his wife, bearing date May the seventh A.D. one thousand eight hundred and thirteen and is recorded at Newcastle in the Rolls Office in and for the County of New Castle Book K, Volume 2, Page 446. Reference thereunto being had will more fully and at large appear,
- became lawfully seized in his demise as of fee, of, and in a certain tract, piece or parcel of land situate partly in Red Lion Hundred and partly in Pencader Hundred in the County and State aforesaid and the said John Deputy dying intestate his lands fell equally among his children, his eldest son Charles Deputy having intermarried with Rachel Hayes now Rachel Townsend the wife of the said Samuel Townsend and dying previous to his father's decease left the said Rachel pregnant with a son called Charles Deputy Junior, who also deceased having the said Rachel, his mother his only heir.
- Now this Indenture further Witnesseth, that Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife for and in considerations of the sum of eighty five dollars and seventy six cents, lawful money of the United States of America, to them in hand paid by the said John L Deputy, at or before, the sealing and delivery of these presents, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged by the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife and they themselves therewith satisfied content and paid have granted, bargained, sold, aliened, enfeoffed, conveyed and confirmed, and by these presents DO grant, bargain, sell, alien, enfeoff, convey and confirm unto the said John L Deputy and his heirs and assigns one equal undivided eighth part of the before mentioned tract, piece or parcel of land,
- Bounded by the lands of Abel Livil, William Silver Esq, Thomas M Foreman, John M Porter and a Road laid out from the Road leading from Red Lion Tavern to the Buck Tavern to Janviers or Buttons Mill containing about forty one acres in the said tract, more or less.
- Together with all and singular the one equal undivided eighth part of the houses, out houses, gardens, woods, underwoods, fences, wars, waters and water courses. Rights, members, privileges, improvements, hereditaments and appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining with the one equal undivided eighth part of the reversion and reversions, remainder and remainders, rents, issues and profits thereof, and also all the estate, right, title, interest, use, possession, property claim and demand whatsoever of them the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife of, in, and to the said above mentioned and described tract, piece or parcel of land and premises or to any part or parcel thereof, with the appurtenances thereunto belonging, to have and to hold, all and singular the one equal undivided eighth part of the said above mentioned and described tract, piece or parcel of land and premises hereby granted or meaned and intended so to be with the appurtenances unto the said John L Deputy, his heirs and assigns to the only proper use, benefit and behoof of him the said John L Deputy, his heirs and assigns forever
- and the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife for themselves, their heirs, executors and administrators DO hereby covenant, grant and agree, to and with the said John L Deputy, his heirs and assigns and described tract, piece or parcel of land and premises hereby granted or meaned and intended so to be with the appurtenances against themselves, the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife, and their heirs and against all and every other person or persons whatsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same or any part thereof by, from, or under them the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife, their heirs or either of them unto the said John L Deputy, his heirs and assigns shall and will warrant and forever defend by these presents.
- In witness whereof the said Samuel Townsend and Rachel his wife have hereunto set their hands and seals the day and year first herein before written
- Saml Townsend (seal)
- Rachel Townsend (seal)
Signed sealed at delivered in presence of:
- W.B. Janvier
- John Barr
- I, Samuel Townsend, named in the foregoing Indenture, acknowledged to have received on the day of the date thereof, of and from the John L Deputy therein named, the sum of eighty five dollars, seventy six cents, in full of the consideration money in the said Indenture mentioned. $85.76
- Saml Townsend
- W.B. Janvier
- John Barr
- State of Delaware} To Wit:
- Be it remembered, that on this fifteenth day of April in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and thirty seven, Samuel Townsend, party to the foregoing Indenture, personally came before me, Kensey Johns Junior, Chancellor, of the State of Delaware, and acknowledged the said Indenture to be his deed and be it further, that on the same day and year aforesaid, Rachel Townsend, wife of the said Samuel Townsend, and also a party to the foregoing Indenture, personally came before me the said Kensey Johns Junior, and upon private examination taken by me, apart from her said husband, acknowledged the said Indenture to be her deed, and that she executed the same willingly without compulsion or threats or fear of her husband's displeasure.
- Given under my hand at Newcastle, the day and year aforesaid.
- Kensey Johns Jr Chancellor
- Received for Record, March tenth A.D. one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight.
- Recorded August 20, 1838
- Matt Kean Recorder
- ↑ New Castle County Delaware land records. Delaware Public Archives. Dover, Delaware
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)