Descendants of Captain John Wiggins of Martin County, North Carolina
This is a genealogical record of the Wiggins family compiled by Agness Wiggins Gunter (1944 - 2019). She is the great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter of John Wiggins (1716 - 15 Jul 1786). It is a compilation of numerous records that covers eleven generations of the family. The book includes:
- Narrative history of the early generations of the family
- Military history of the family
- List of individuals showing birth, marriage, and death dates
- Bible Records, generally with the repository of the original record given.
- Census Records used in compiling the book
- Military Records
- Personal Diaries
Assessment of Accuracy
These are the personal opinions of Paul Nebeling.
- I believe that Agness (Gunther) Wiggins put in a massive amount of time compiling this book. I can recall my ex-wife Anita (Wiggins) Durkee mentioning the author contacting her father Richard Wiggins to obtain information for the book. That leads me to conclude that in addition to physical records, first and secondhand information was used to create this book.
- This book was published in 2000. Ten additional years of US Census records are currently available with another ten years scheduled to be released this year.
- Since the publication of this book, the field that I refer to as "Amateur Genealogy", fueled by sites such as Ancestry and Family Search has greatly expanded the number of records available online.
I would consider this to be a valuable secondary source, but since it is clearly compiled from other sources, those sources should be noted when possible.
Wikitree Profiles that use this source
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)