- This is a study to try to find the Father of John Devlin b.1842 Whitehaven
I think I found his father John Devlin, so now I working on him.
1. I entered all the information I could find on my Brick Wall
- John Devlin b.1842 Whitehaven, came to the US in 1871, lived in Ottumwa, Wapello, Iowa d. 1922 chicago father unknown
2. I created a Category to collect all of the people in the study and this page to keep my notes.
3. I entered all the close matches I could find.
- Possible matches
- John Devlin b.1846 in Whitehaven, Cumberland, England, United Kingdom
- John Devlin b.1842 St Andrews, London, England, son of Charles and Bridget Devlin
- John Devlin c. 1843 Hulme, Lancashire, England, Son of Michael Devlin and Catherin
- John Devlin c.1841 Liverpool, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
4. I took a DNA test and entered all the same sur-name families to see if I could find a connection
- DNA connected in myFTDNA to Rich Devlin G-son of John. But not connected in Wikitree
- Patrick Devlin c.1786 Ireland wife Bridget -
- Peter Devlin c.1801 Scotland, Wife Catherine (McCannell) Devlin
- Archibold Devlin b.1830 Ireland
- Margaret (Devlin) Campbell (abt. 1844 - 1913), Munterevlin, Tyrone, Ireland, married Bernard Campbell (abt. 1840 - 1914) GGG son is Predicted relationship: 5th–8th Cousin on ancestory.com edmundmontgomery
4.1 I started to break out the Devlin by country
- Category:Devlin-670_Possable_DNA_connected I entered family trees from other web sites that I was DNA connected - I started this after I finished # 8
- Category:Devlin_Name_Study I started to enter all Devlin families I could find from Census, church records etc.
5. I entered my DNA into GEDmatch and found the people related to me here on Wikitree.
- For a list of DNA connected people, to me, on Wikitree go here.
6. I started a One Name study to try to connect to older profiles.
7. Compared the names to the traditional way of naming children in Ireland
- Using the Space Irish_Naming_Patterns John's father would be Arthur Devlin born c.1807 and an oldest Uncle named George
8. Tried to track family movement via Census and other sources
1841 Census St Bees, Cumberland
- John Devlin b. Ireland 1812 wife Elizabeth (McLaughin) Devlin had 6 children
- 1941 Ann, James and Margaret
- 1851 Ann Whitehaven - James b.1837 Whitehaven - William 9 Whitehaven - John b.1846 Whitehaven - Edward 2 Whitehaven - Margaret 12 Whitehaven
- John Devlin b.1784 Ireland - In 1841 John, his wife Ann and two children (John and Mary) were living in Charles Street. St Bee, Cumberland
- John Devlin b.1824 Cumberland - Ann Devlin
- Neale Devlin Ireland c.1774-? wife Dorothy Develin F 50-54 Cumberland
- John Develin M 20-24 Cumberland c.1819 - Margaret Develin F 20-24 Cumberland - Betty Develin F 15-19 Cumberland - Mary Develin F 0 Cumberland
- Edward Devlin c. 1800 b. unknown Wife Catherine were living in St Bees, Cumberland
1841 Census St Mary, Cumberland
- Alexander Devlin 50 Ireland 1791 - wife Jane Devlin 50
- Arthur Devlin (abt. 1796) wife Mary
- John Devlin b.1818 Whitehaven, Cumberland - Wife Margaret Devlin Wife F 33 Whitehaven, Cumberland
- Mary Devlin Daughter F 10 Whitehaven, Cumberland - Dorothy Devlin Daughter F 8 Whitehaven, Cumberland - Margaret Devlin Daughter F 6 Whitehaven, Cumberland - Elizabeth Devlin Daughter F 3 Moresby, Cumberland - Hugh Devlin Son M 0 Moresby, Cumberland
- In 1851 Arthur Devlin c. 1785 and Mary were living in Cumberland, England with 2 children
- Arthur Devlin Son M 17 c.1834 Carlisle, Cumberland Elizabeth Devlin Daughter F 9 Carlisle, Cumberland
- James Devlin b.1826 Mount Plesant, Cumberland wife Martha (Unknown) Devlin
- John Devlin b.1820 Whitehaven, Cumberland. In 1861&1881, he and Wife Jane were living in Toxteth Park, Lancashire, England
- John William Devlin c.1830 - Married Sarah Angel (Stone) 4 Dec 1852 in Portland, Dorset, England
- Hugh Devlin c.1850 Lamb Hill, Cumberland, Unsourced wife Eleanor Ann (Bell) Devlin
- John Devlin b.31 Aug 1831 in Newcastle upon Tyne All Saints, Northumberland, England, United Kingdom. son of William Devlin and Mary