This page is part of the Victoria Cemeteries Team
Cemetery Name: Diamond Creek Cemetery
AKA: Nillumbik Cemetery
GPS Coordinates: -37.67588, 145.14650
Nillumbik (Diamond Creek) Cemetery
Monumental Inscriptions in the Nillumbik (Diamond Creek) Cemetery 35 Main Street, Diamond Creek, Victoria, Australia ~ Transcribed by Andrea Johnson
The Nillumbik (also known as Diamond Creek) cemetery was first gazetted in 1867. All plots have now been sold. The original burial records for the cemetery were stored in a shed located within the cemetery grounds, and were destroyed by a bush fire that swept through the township in 1910. The records were then reconstructed from burial orders and the memories of individuals whom already owned a plot, or had a loved one buried in the cemetery. The cemetery was originally divided into five compartments: Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, and two Anglican compartments; there are no visible signs marking these compartments. A small memorial garden is now used for the interment of ashes.
The impressive cemetery entrance gates and brick archway, were erected in 1897, from proceeds of the will of William Ellis (a local pioneer). He bequeathed £100 for a gate to be erected at the entrance to the cemetery, with a design first to be submitted to, and approved of, by his wife Louisa Ellis. The inscription facing Main Street reads: �JANVA VITAE�, meaning �Gate of Life�. The inscription above the archway facing towards the graves reads: �Erected by the late William Ellis in 1897�. The Nillumbik Historical Society holds a draft plan of the cemetery showing marked graves. Please direct any grave location inquiries to Mr. Jock Ryan, 14 Collins Street, Diamond Creek. 3089. Victoria. Australia. Ph. (03) 9438 3439.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)