List of Dieter(ich) Palatine Migrants
Including Dieter, Diederich, Diedrich, Dieterich, Dietrich, etc. But note Dietrichs (Dietrix) are usually Dutch, not German.
Limited to persons with records post migration
Note The Dietrich section of "History of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania" (Roberts 1914, vol II, pp 253 ff), evidently written by one of the editors Wm. J. Diertrich (WJD), contains dubious genealogies for several migrants, purportedly to be sons and grandsons of Wilhelm Emanuel Dietrich residing in Dresden. There is no documented evidence for these relationships, and nothing else is known about some of these individuals except for their arrival in Philadelphia, as reported by Strassburger (1934) and others.
Johann Wilhelm Dietrich b 15 Dec 1660 Segendorff, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany d 1716 West Camp, Ulster, New York arr 1710 New York
- m(1) Agnes Remagen 1 son, m(2) 1700 Anna Margaretha Neff 2 sons; many descendants mainly NY
Hans Jerg Dieter (John George Teter) b 7 Jun 1699 Schwaigern, Württemberg, Germany, d 22 Mar 1743 Virginia, arr 30 Sep 1727 on Molly with wife, 2 children died premigration
- m 1720 Maria Margaretha Luttmann (1701–1759) 8? children 4 m Henkle sibs, many descendants mainly Teter in Virginia and elsewhere
Susanna (Dieterich) Schultz b 13 Mar 1690 Nieder, Harpersdorf, Silesia d 23 Feb 1765 Pennsylvania arr 12 Sep 1734 Philadelphia on St. Andrew Galley with son George and daughters Anna, Susannah, Maria, and Barbara; Schwenkfelders migrants, they settled in Upper Hanover, Philadelphia (now Montgomery); many descendants
Hans “John Dietrich” Dietrick b 1683 Switzerland d 21 Jun 1759 Orangeburg County, South Carolina, arr 13 Jul 1735 South Carolina on Samuel, m Anna in Switzerland 3 children; no known male line descendants
Margareta (Dieter) Lohrmann b Mar 1684 Schwaigern, Württemberg, Germany d aft 1738 arr 8 Oct 1737 Philadelphia on Charming Nancy m 1711 Hanß Peter Lohrmann, no info re children or descendants, aunt of Hans Jorg Dieter arr 11 Sep 1729 & Sebastian Dieter d Oct 1738 at sea
Sebastian Dieter b 13 Jan 1706 Schwaigern, Württemberg, Germany d Oct 1738 at sea, aboard St. Andrew arr 27 Oct 1738 Philadelphia, m 1731 Maria Katharine Eberle 3 children entire family died at sea, bro Hans Jorg Dieter arr 11 Sep 1729
Johannes (Hannes) Dieterich (John Teeter) b abt 1720 Germany? d aft 1770 PA or MD, arr 19 Sep 1738 Philadelphia on Thistle alone
- m abt 1745 NN 3 sons, many descendants generally Deeter or Teeter, settled abt 1752 in Conococheague MD, sons John Jr & Abraham moved abt 1787 Bedford PA, several g'sons moved abt 1810 Miami valley near Dayton OH
Johann Dietrich b 1720 Germany d aft 1759 Pennsylvania arr 3 Sep 1739 Philadelphia on Loyal Judith(?) m 1740 NN 7 children; bio per WJD dubious, possibly fictitious
Matthias Dieter b abt 1710 Heppenheim, Bergstraße, Hessen, Germany d 25 Mar 1782 Amityville, Amity Township, Berks, Pennsylvania, United States arr abt 1740 (unrecorded) with wife and son Johannes Dieter Sr.
- m abt 1735 Rosannah Dettero (abt 1712–bef 1754) 3 children, many descendants in Berks PA
- m 1769 Johanna de Hart in Amity, Bucks PA 7? children many descendants in Berks PA some Deeter
Johannes Dieter b 11 May 1719 Württemberg d 10 May 1805 Northampton, Pennsylvania, United States arr abt 1740
- m Anna Catherine Thowisen (1729-1770) son John Peter Dieter (1751-1824), settled in Moore Twp, Northampton, PA; many descendants but genealogy is muddled
Elias Dietrich b 21 Aug 1701 in Ottmarsheim, Württemberg d 1 Nov 1759 Northampton County, Pennsylvania, arr 22 Dec 1744 Philadelphia on Muscliffe Galley with 2nd wife & 3-4 children; bio per WJD spurious
- m(1) 1727 Susanna Magdalena Roth m(2) 1732 Anna Elisabetha Schopf 5-6 children, settled 1748 Northampton PA, dau Judith m Jacob Ritter moved to MD, son Johann Elias m Catherine Long, son Johannes (John) m(2) Anna Margaretha Long moved to Columbia PA, son Johann Jacob m Maria Elizabeth Minier; many descendants in Northampton, Monroe, Columbia, etc.
Johan Michael Dietrich b abt 1729 d bef 1798 Philadelphia, Pennsylania arr 7 Sep 1748 Philadelphia on Hampshire, evidently alone. m 1753 Magdalena NN 9 children, no other known descendants
Maria Apolonia (Dieter) Haag b abt. Rems-Murr-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg d 1800 Tulpehocken Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania, arr 7 Sep 1748 Philadelphia on Hampshire with husband & children m 20 June 1728 Johann George Haag Sr. (1707-1786) 6 children
- m Anna Margretha Shafer (1724–1797) 7? children, settled in Adams PA, many descendants
(Hans) Adam Dietrich b abt. 1710 Bas-Rhin, France(?) d abt. 1775 arr 9 Sep 1751 Philadelphia on Patience, with wife & son Johann Adam Dietrich Jr (1740-1817); possibly related to Jacob Dietrich arr 1752
- m Christina Bieber 9(?) children, settled in Lowhill Twp, Northampton PA; many descendants
Johannes Dietrich arr 25 Sep 1751 Philadelphia on Phoenix, no other information. He was previously ID'ed by WJD as Johannes Dietrich b 1731 Germany d 7 Nov 1785 Berks PA, who is now believed to have been b abt 1754 Berks.
Jacob Dietrich III b 1718 Bas-Rhin, France(?) d aft 1757 arr 22 Sep 1752 Philadelphia on Halifax, probably alone; arr with nephews "Elias" (14 yo) & "George Hans" (10) per WJD unlikely, but Geörg Hans Diettrich & Johann Diedtrich were also recorded on board Halifax; ancestry per WJD likewise dubious.
- m (1) 1738 Christina NN no children m (2) 1755 Rebecca Schollenberger 2 children, settled in Greenwich Twp Berks PA
George Hans Dietrich b 1736 Germany(?) d abt 1780 Lebanon, Pennsylvania arr 22 Sep 1752 Philadelphia on Halifax m 1756 Anna Dorothea Boltz 7 children
Johann Lenhart Dietrich b 4 Sep 1732 in Jagstkreis, Ostenberg, Württemberg(?) d Aug 1803 in Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States arr 26 Sep 1753 Philadelphia on Brothers
- m (1) abt 1770 Catherine Schwartz (1740-1783) 3 children m (2) abt 1785 Catherine Shaffer (1760-1847) 4 children; settled first in Berks PA, moved abt 1784 Schuylkill PA then Northumberland PA; many descendants in Schuylkill & Dauphin PA
Philip Dietrich b 27 Dec 1725 Alsace, France d abt 1815 Wheatland, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania arr 30 Sep 1754 Philadelphia on Neptune, ancestry per WJD dubious
- m 1748 Elizabeth NN, settled in Lancaster PA, sons Michael & Heinrich certain, 11 children per WJD but many likewise dubious,
- m 1769 Maria Sarah Bernhard 2 children settled first Lancaster PA moved bef 1774 Dauphin PA major landholder, many descendants in Dauphin PA
Adam Ditterich arr 26 Oct 1767 Philadelphia on Brittania with bro(?) Casper Dietrich; nothing further known about Adam, but he is not Sgt (Johann) Adam Dietrich (1740-1817) who arr 1751 with father Adam Sr.
Casper Dietrich b abt 1744 Hoffenheim, Germany d aft 1800 Pennsylvania, United States arr 26 Oct 1767 Philadelphia on Brittania with wife & bro(?) Adam Ditterich
Johann Ludwig Detrich b 1740 Germany d 1821 Antrim Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania arr 29 Oct 1767 Philadelphia on Minerva
- m 1777 Julianna Gochet (1746-1832) 12 children, settled in Conococheague, Lancaster (now Franklin), PA, many descendants
Johann Jacob Dietrich b abt 1744 Germany d aft 1788 New Jersey, United States arr 10 Oct 1768 Philadelphia on Minerva
- m 1769 Rosina Hofman (n.d.) 6-plus chlidren, moved to Warren Co (?) NJ
- "History of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and a genealogical and biographical record of its families", by Charles Rhoads Roberts (1914). Three volumes.
- "Pennsylvania German pioneers; a publication of the original lists of arrivals in the port of Philadelphia from 1727 to 1808", by Ralph Beaver Strassburger, ed. by William John Hinke (Norristown, Pa., Pennsylvania German Society, 1934).