Surnames/tags: Doane Doan Done
The Doane Name Study is Under Construction!! Please be patient as we work to create a useful resource for collaboration.
- Background image: The Doane Family Tartan from the Scottish Register of Tartans
Although DNA analysis can assist in determining that two or more participants who have tested their yDNA descend from a common male ancestor, it will not identify the specific ancestor without the use of accurate record documentation used in genealogical research.
The purpose of this study is to work together to establish an accurate Doane Family tree by using the best possible sources available for documentation.
What You Can Do
- Work cooperatively together with other Doane profile managers to create the best Doane tree possible.
- Add the category for Doane Name Study to profiles.
- Search out original rather than derivative documentation and add sources to Doane profiles.
- Write comprehensive, well-sourced biographies for Doane profiles.
- Check for duplicates and request merges.
- Contact Alison to request PPP status for those profiles that meet the criteria for project protection. This will protect them from an incorrect merge.
- If you are a male with the Andrews surname or a variant and haven't already, please consider testing your yDNA through the Doane Family Tree DNA Project so that we can all have a better understanding of our heritage and possibly make new discoveries.
Doane Surname Origin
Doane Name Meaning
Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Dubháin ‘descendant of Dubhán’, meaning ‘the little black one’, a common name in the 16th century in southern Ireland, or Ó Damháin ‘descendant of Damhán’ meaning ‘fawn’, ‘little stag’, a rare Ulster name. See also Devine.
Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press
The Doane Family Association of America (DFA) has identified John Done as the family's first immigrant ancestor who arrived in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts in 1630. Please see Who Was Deacon John Done? for more information.
- Doane Family DNA Project on FamilyTree DNA
- The Doane family: 1. Deacon John Doane, of Plymouth, 2. Doctor John Done, of Maryland, and their descendants. With notes upon English families of the same name by Alfred A. Doane, pub. 1902.
- The Doane Family Association
- Doane Family Trees, Crests, Genealogies, Biographies, DNA, and More
- Doane College