Surnames/tags: Dowding Dowden
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname DOWDING and DOWDEN.
This study will develop to document and investigate the origins of the various Dowding and Dowden families worldwide. One principal aim of this project is to see which of the various family lines that go back to the 16th Century and before are related.
As of December 2021:
- I have gone through all the Dowding and Dowden profiles here on WikiTree that are open for editing and added a Dowding Name Study Category, and have linked up some Dowdings to early ancestors. I will look out for anyone adding any new profiles and categorise them.
- I have registered Dowding as a Surname Project with the Guild of One-Name Studies
- I have started a Dowding Y-DNA Project at Family Tree DNA. A Dowden Y-DNA project already exists on FTDNA
- I have created a Dowding Surname Genealogy, and DNA Project Facebook Group
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them, and anyone able to help would be welcome.
- Entering known early Dowdings and Dowdens and linking up existing profiles to them. I already have a database of Dowdings and will continue to add them to WikiTree when I can.
- Identifying autosomal DNA tested Dowding and Dowden descendants (quite a few identified so far) and finding male Dowdings and DOwdens interested in this Project who will Y-DNA test to get us started on a Dowding Y-DNA Project.
Until I add some structure to this Main Project Page, the Dowdings and Dowdens I am entering can be found via the sub categories links here. All the Dowding on WikiTree are here. All the Dowden profiles are here.
- Dowding and Dowden Y-DNA Aug 14, 2022.
- #OneNameTuesday showcase: Dowding Name Study May 3, 2022.
- Dowden / Dowding Name Study Jan 1, 2022.
- Looking for male Dowdings and Dowdens to join Y-DNA Project Oct 17, 2021.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chris Gilbert and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)