This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname DOWDING.
This study will develop to document and investigate the origins of the various Dowding families worldwide. One principal aim of this project is to see which of the various Dowding lines that go back to the 16th Century and before are related.
As of August 2020:
- I have gone through all the Dowding profiles here on WikiTree that are open for editing and added a Dowding Name Study Category, and have linked up some Dowdings to early ancestors. I will look out for anyone adding any new profiles and categorise them.
- I have registered Dowding as a Surname Project with the Guild of One-Name Studies
- I have started a Dowding Y-DNA Project at Family Tree DNA.
- I have created a Dowding Surname Genealogy, and DNA Project Facebook Group
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them, and anyone able to help would be welcome.
- Entering known early Dowdings and linking up existing Dowding profiles to them. I already have a database of Dowdings and will continue to add them to WikiTree when I can.
- Identifying autosomal DNA tested Dowding descendants (quite a few identified so far) and finding male Dowdings interested in this Project who will Y-DNA test to get us started on a Dowding Y-DNA Project. (Update: We now have 2 potential participants to Y-DNA Test).
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chris Gilbert and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)