Elizabeth Wheeler, born about 1701; died New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, 22 September 1744, age 43; buried Grove Street Cemetery, New Haven, New Haven County; married in East Hampton, Suffolk County, New York, 15 June 1724, Jeremiah Osborn.
Donald Lines Jacobus wrote in 1930:
OSBORN. Variant, OSBORNE. . . .Marriages in East Hampton, Long Island.
Jeremiah, b 8 Apr 1699 NHV, bp 9 Apr 1699 NHC1, d 18 Jan 1789 ae. 91 NHC1; Ens.; m (1) Elizabeth ______, b c. 1701, d 22 Sep 1744 ae. 43 NHT1; m (2) 18 Apr 1745 NHV—Elizabeth da. Richard & Elizabeth (Wilmot) Sperry, b 11 Nov 1716 NHV, d 18 Dec 1799 ae. 84 NHC1. FAM. 4. . . .
[p 1327] FAM. 4. JEREMIAH & ELIZABETH (______) OSBORN:
[lists children: Jehiel, Rebecca, John, Samuel, Joseph, Jeremiah, Elizabeth, David, and Rebecca.]
- [Abbreviations: NHC1 = First Congregational Society, New Haven; NHT1 = City Burial Ground (“Grove Street Cemetery”), New Haven, including stones in Center Church crypt and those removed from the Green; NHV = Vital Statistics, New Haven; ae = age; b = born; ens = Ensign; m = married; bp = baptized; d = died.]
- "Jeremiah Osborn of New Haven and Elizabeth Wheeler of ys town [East Hampton]."
Elizabeth's Gravestone Inscription:
- [North Wall.]
- The NYG&B Record gives a marriage year of 1714. This is an obvious typo as the entries directly above are the year 1723 and directly below 1725. Also, New York City, Compiled Marriage Index has the year 1724. The NYG&B Record states, "Jeremiah Osborn of New Haven and Elizabeth Wheeler of ys town [East Hampton]." According to Jacobus, the only eligible Jeremiah Osborn in New Haven at this time was our Jeremiah.
- ↑ Jacobus. Vol. VI, pp 1323, 1327-1328
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Purple.
- ↑ Dexter.
- ↑ New York City, Compiled Marriage Index, 1600s-1800s.
- ↑ Jacobus. Vol. VI, pp 1322-1334.
- Connecticut, Deaths and Burials Index, 1650-1934 (FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010). Elizabeth Osborn, FHL Film Number 3178. [Name: Elizabeth Osborn; Birth Date: abt 1701; Age at Death: 43; Death Date: 22 Sep 1744; Death Place: New Haven, Connecticut.]
- Dexter, Franklin Bowditch. Inscriptions on Tombstones in New Haven, Erected Prior to 1800 (1882). p 568.
- Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com). Find A Grave: Memorial #8703013. [Memorial includes picture of the gravestone.]
- Hale Collection of Connecticut Cemetery Records Hartford, Connecticut: Connecticut State Library. 215-1, Grove Street Cemetery, p 408. [North Wall. Osborn, Elizabeth, wife of Ensign Jeremiah, died Sept. 22, 1744, age 43 yrs.]
- Jacobus, Donald Lines. Families of Ancient New Haven (New Haven Genealogical Magazine) Published New Haven: 1931. Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1974, 1981, 1997. Originally published as New Haven Genealogical Magazine, Volumes I-VIII. Rome, NY and New Haven, CT 1922-1932. 1930. Vol. VI.
- New York City, Compiled Marriage Index, 1600s-1800s [database on-line]. Ancestry.com. [Original source is the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 1893, p 188.]
- Purple, Samuel S.RECORDS OF MARRIAGES, BAPTISMS, AND DEATHS IN EAST HAMPTON, L. I., FROM 1696 TO 1746. RECORDED BY REV. NATHANIEL HUNTTING.—MARRIAGE ’’The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record’’ (New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1870-). Vol. XXIV, Oct 1893, pp 183, 184, 188.
- Osborne Origins, "Jeremiah OSBORN-5004" (accessed 11 May 2020).