Location: Drumlemble, Argyll, Scotland
Surnames/tags: Argyll Scotland
- Coordinates: 55.413611, -5.689444
- Google Maps
Drumlemble is a small village four miles west of Campbeltown.
|Drumlemble Mine Today|
This area has been mined for coal since 1498. It was mined originally to supply coal for royal castles.
|Former Miner Housing|
The first recorded mining for industrial use was in 1678.
In 1773 a canal was built to connect Drumlemble to Campbeltown.
|Atlantic', the last locomotive built for the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway|
In 1877 the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway was built to connect the pits to Campbeltown.
The mine is no longer in operation.
Peat was also mined. It was sent via the canal to Campbeltown Distilleries. Peat is used in the malting and gives Scotch its distinctive flavor. It was also used for heating the stills.
Kilkivan Graveyard: There is evidence of very early settlements near the ancient church ancd cemetery.
- Drumlemble Wikipedia
- Drumlemble, Argyll
- A Brief History of Coal Mining in Kintrye Campbeltown Heritage Center
- Coal Mining in Kintrye PDF