Welcome to the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Team page!
Team Leader: Roger Davey
Team members: William Graham | D G Laity | Gillian Thomas | Lizzie Griffiths | Pat Kelynack | Susan Largent | Brian Jewell | Pip Sheppard | Mark Treloar | Nan Lambert | Roger Churm | Rae Redford | Sally Douglas | Kylie Haese | Ken McEvoy | Jennifer Merritt | Brad Cunningham | Darren Gladman | Robynne Lozier | Martin Hobbs-Watson | Dave Roberts | Brad Cunningham | Karyn Homburg |Terry Ohl | Terry Poole | Carol Baldwin | Linda Hoffman | Paul Barnett | Lawrie Bingham | Sharryn Nankervis
The Cornwall and Scilly Isles Team covers the county of Cornwall, England and the Scilly Isles. Our goal is to ensure that all Cornwall and Scilly Isles profiles are of a high standard, as complete as possible, and connected to the global tree.
All profiles where the person was born in Cornwall should have an England Sticker with Cornwall as the county.
- Cornwall Unsourced Profiles
- Cornwall Unconnected Profiles
- Cornwall database suggestions
- Cornwall and Scilly Notables
- The Pellyne Name Study, which originally focussed on Pellynes in Lanreath, has expanded its horizons to the rest of Cornwall as well.
- The Stanton Name Study has many Cornish Stantons; a page covering their migration within the county and out can be found here
Team Member Specific Interests
- Lawrie Bingham has a problem requiring fresh eyes research - Volunteers, One pace forward - march and private message Lawrie for queries/answers.
- Two profiles for Walter Tresize being Tresize-45 and Tresize-22 both showing Margaret Old as the spouse
- Were to be merged but, parents are different. Need to ascertain correct connection - both profiles have birth records showing different parents and the question is who married Margaret Old?
- Believed the two Walters are related through their fathers being brothers. The marriage of Walter Tresize to Margaret Old was witnessed by Edward Tresize (brother, father, cousin?). One Walter would have been 36 and the other 28.
- Complicated, as both names Tresise and Tresize are common (note the S and Z). Although not shown on the profile the missing Baptism may be at https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3511800
- Confusing the issue, two separate DNA links have been traced to each Walter but they do not appear to have a strong connection.
- Roger Davey - Davey family around Perranarworthal & Ponsanooth.
- Gillian Thomas - Cornish immigrants to Australia
- Pip Sheppard - Parish of Gulval is the main interest.
- Lizzie Griffiths - Sloggett Family of Bodmin
- Pat Kelynack - Kelynack family, ancestors originated Penzance area
- Nan Lambert One Place Study for the parish of Landulph
- Rae Redford St. Austell and St Neot areas.
- Roger Churm The Cundy family of St Dennis and London where they moved to. The Prideaux family of Camborne and Padstow despite extensive research on them I still think there is information to be had.
- Sally Douglas Trethew(e)ys from the Roche and the other china clay areas of mid-Cornwall.
- Ken McEvoy Treloar and Carkeek families, from Redruth and Wendron
- Kylie Haese Is a transcriber for the OPC Cornwall website. Ancestors from St-stephen in Brannell, Roche and St Austell. A member of the Sourcerers Team so willing to add sources for Cornwall profiles that need them.
- Jennifer Merritt Family names: Chellew, Hollow, and Peters from Ludgvan. I’d love to learn more about them.
- Brad Cunningham Maternal ancestors in Ladock, Truro, Probus, Redruth. Mother's family name is Juleff (Jolliffe)
- Karyn Homburg Tonkins and Opie families of St. Agnes
- Terry Poole Cornish miners that emigrated in the 1800’s to California, USA to work in the gold mines.
We have two Challenge teams connected to the England Project. Members of the England Counties teams are encouraged to join as a member of one of those teams and participate from time to time in WikiTree challenges for England.
- The Windsor Warriors for those with a competitive spirit who want to work on English profiles during challenges.
- The Sandringham Strollers for those who like to work on more complex tasks, and concentrate on quality over quantity. It is a great team as well for people who haven't done a lot of data doctoring and don't want to feel under pressure.
Cornwall and Scilly Resources
If you are interested in helping with Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, please feel free to look at the England Project page and sign up via the G2G post. If you have any questions about Cornwall or the Isles of Scilly, please contact the team leader above.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 13 Nov 2019 at 12:48 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
The “Cornwall Emigrants” page is being developed where you will be able to list your ancestors who emigrated. All team members & the general Wiki community will be advised.
Kind Regards Roger Davey Team Captain
On 13 Nov 2019 at 12:44 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
Sharryn Nankervis - enjoy the ride Sharryn.
On 6 Nov 2019 at 03:05 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
Lawrie Bingham needs fresh eyes research assistance.
On 4 Nov 2019 at 23:47 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
On 16 Oct 2019 at 12:34 GMT Michael Cayley wrote:
On 16 Oct 2019 at 11:40 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
I note William Bickford has a profile which needs some improvement with URL sources & a bio tidy up before we add him
On 16 Oct 2019 at 09:50 GMT Roger Churm wrote:
But I noticed there are some with the wrong Cornwall eg US etc When the list is next issued could they ensure its Cornwall England Thanks
On 12 Oct 2019 at 20:24 GMT Roger Churm wrote:
William Bickford Inventor of the safety fuse Born in Ashburton Devon and moved to to the Camborne area of Cornwall so he could be a South Western Notable
Henry Trengouse Inventor of the Rocket which ships in distress fired off. Saved possibly 1000's of lives Born in Helston 18/3/1772
Died in Helston 14/2/1854
I think they both merit being on our notable list and if agreed I will input them both onto Wikitree. Its really amazing the contributions what Cornish people made. I have also inputted Richard Lander the Cornish Explorer who discovered the source of the Niger.A school was named after him I think in Truro so he is well known in Cornwall
On 12 Oct 2019 at 11:12 GMT Roger Davey wrote:
Cornwall: Previous week 3348 - This week: 2886 = 462 sourced
Devon: Previous week 3770 - This week: 2995 = 775 sourced
Dorset: Previous week 1434 - This week: 1197 = 237 sourced
Gloucestershire: Previous week 2172 - This week: 1838 = 334 sourced
Somerset: Previous week 3109 - This week: 2654 = 455 sourced
Wiltshire: Previous week 1946 - This week: 1771 = 175 sourced.
Well done to all, even if you didn't thon but are just working away as usual on finding those sources. This is a terrific team effort and a wonderful example of wiki collaboration.
On 1 Oct 2019 at 22:53 GMT Brad Cunningham wrote: