Surnames/tags: Quakers English_Quakers England
Welcome to the English Quakers Team
The overall aim is to improve WikiTree's coverage of English Quakers by, among other things:
- adding new, well-sourced profiles
- improving existing profiles
- adding the Quakers sticker to English Quaker profiles which do not yet have it
- adding appropriate Quaker categories to profiles, particularly for
- creating related Freespace pages
How to Join
It would help if you are already a member of the Quakers Project, or join the Quakers Project, but this is not required.
Quaker Information by English County
Quakers in England: County Information and Resources Links to English counties with monthly meetings, burial grounds, research material, categories, and info.
Guidelines for Geographical Categorisation
The aim is to use Monthly Meetings as the main basis for geographical categorisation (or Area Meetings - the successors to Monthly Meetings - for very recent Quakers), and to add Monthly Meeting categories to profiles wherever possible. Where no Monthly Meeting is known, but a county is known, please categorise by county, as in Category: Lancashire Quakers - if you create a new county category, place it under Category: English Quakers.
New Monthly Meeting categories should be of the form Category: Name of Monthly Meeting, Historic County. They should be placed under two higher level categories:
- Quaker Meetings, England
- Name of County, Religious Institutions
If in doubt, please look at what has been done for existing Monthly Meeting categories, or ask a Project leader to set up the category.
We are not using Quarterly Meetings or Preparative Meetings for categorisation.
Please be aware that the Monthly Meeting structure has evolved over time, with some changes of name, some geographical splits, and some amalgamations. Where there have been such changes, it is helpful to note them on the Monthly Meeting category page, along with any other historical information that may help others.
- Where there has been an amalgamation or a split, separate categories should be created for the Monthly Meetings that existed at the different dates, as for Hardshaw, Hardshaw East and Hardshaw West Monthly Meetings, with notes on the category pages about the amalgamation/split.
- Where there is just a change of name, the later name should be used for the category, with a note on the category page, as has been done with Ratcliff and Barking Monthly Meeting.
Be aware too that on the main commercial genealogical sites, splits and amalgamations may mean that records are attributed to a Monthly Meeting that did not exist at the time to which the record relates. For instance, Hardshaw Monthly Meeting split into Hardshaw East and Hardshaw West in 1818. Ancestry and other sites commonly attribute earlier records to Hardshaw East and Hardshaw West even though they did not then exist. For these earlier records, the correct Monthly Meeting is Hardshaw Monthly Meeting.
- (Alphabetical by surname)
- Benjamin Beck
- Susan Bulla
- Michael Cayley, co-Leader, Quakers Project
- Todd Gilbert, with focus on early Quaker Merchant Venturers' families Coysgarne (Bristol/Cornwall/London/overseas) and Jones (Bristol)
- Ross Hadley
- Kelly Kersey
- Chris Little, with a particular focus on Cumberland
- Celia Marsh
- Susan Messenger
- Anne Rees
- Steve Ringer, specifically aiming to identify Monthly Meetings associated with his Quaker forebears
- Cathi Stark
- James Sumrall
- Jennifer Thornton, particularly interested in the Plumstead/Plumsted family
- Stephen Trueblood, with a special interest in Lincolnshire Quakers and in particular those associated with the Beckingham area (see the Freespace page Beckingham Quakers)
- Are you interested in English Quakers? Oct 17, 2019.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael Cayley, Stephen Trueblood, Jim Angelo, England Project WikiTree, and Religious Society of Friends Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)