no image

First Baptist Church of Whitsett NC

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: 1956 [unknown]
Location: Whitsett, Guilford, North Carolina, United Statesmap
Profile manager: Allan Capps private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 209 times.
Click for a larger image
First Baptist Church of Whitsett

First Baptist Church of Whitsett
7006 Burlington Road
Whitsett, NC 27377
phone: 336-449-6382


Beliefs and Mission:

Please visit the church website for information on the spiritual and religious aspects of the church. This Wikitree Page only deals with the historical information of the church.


Founding/Charter Members:


For a list of current and former members that are on Wikitree visit the church category.

Historic TImeline:

Rock Creek Baptist Church
1956 - In 1956 some members of Rock Creek Baptist Church in Whitsett, NC, wanted to move the church off of the dead end road it was on, to attract more members. The vote to move had to be unanimous but one family voted against it, so the move was not approved. As a result, a few families broke from Rock Creek Baptist and started a new church which they named Whitsett Baptist Church. Whitsett Baptist Church was organized and held its first service on November 4, 1956, in the old Perkins Store building on Highway 61, across from the Whitsett ballfield. This building had been purchased and renovated by the men of the church.
The Gospel Echoes (1959)
1957 - On April 7, 1957, the church was officially chartered with 26 members. Those members called the Reverend Gilmer Bernard Dodson of Whitsett as their pastor. During the church's time in the "old store building", they were blessed to have music by the "Gospel Echoes", a quarter made up of church members, Harold Smith, Gilmer Dodson, Gaynor Whitesell, Viola (Doby) Whitesell, and pianist, Louise (Doby) Capps. Also during their time in the old building they saw the marriage of Louise Doby & Archie Capps.
1961 - By fall of 1961, the debt on the building had been paid and they were beginning to look for land on which to erect a new building. The land where the church now sits was purchased on November 18, 1961.

1962 - On January 1, 1962, the members had raised $1,000 to serve as down payment on the $3,500 parcel of land. On October 13, 1962, the church gave Mr. Clarence Ingle a check to pay the balance on the land purchased from him. Plans for construction began immediately.
Maude Doby breaks ground for the new building
1963 - Plans were approved on March 4, 1963, and Greeson Builders, Inc., owned by Raymond Greeson, church member, was selected as general contractor. The ceremonial groundbreaking was performed by Maude Lee (Fulk) Doby, the oldest charter member, on June 1, 1963, and work began at once. The church raised money for construction by pledges from members and friends, the sale of the old building, and a building loan. New furniture was purchased and installed in November of 1963. Sunday, December 7, 1963, was the big day for the little band of members. The first service was held with 147 persons in attendance. The membership grew from the original 26 to 60 by the end of 1963.

1970s - During the 1970s, the church joined with other area churches, ministering at the Guilford County Prison Farm. Reverend Gilmer Bernard Dodson, along with other volunteers, would bring a message of salvation through the preaching of God’s Word and through music.

1970 - On May 24, 1970, the members voted to pave the parking lot.

1973 - By 1973 the membership had grown to 99.

1977 - The church mortgage was paid off on November 2, 1977, and the church became debtfree. During Thanksgiving weekend, 1977, the church had a "mortgage burning service".

1980 - In April 1980, because of declining health, Reverend Dodson retired after 30 years of faithful pastoral service of which 23 years were served as pastor of Whitsett Baptist Church. Dr. David Paul Rice of Lynchburg, VA was chosen as the second pastor of the church. Under his ministry the membership increased, the missions outreach expanded, and a visitation program and a children’s ministry began.

1982 - In the summer of 1982 the church organized its first men’s softball team as an outreach ministry to be effective witnesses for Christ in the community. In October 1982, the Word of Life Olympian program began on Wednesday nights for children in first through sixth grades.

1985 - In May 1985 the church called its third pastor, the Reverend Bradley Griese. A native of Springfield, VA, Pastor Griese was ordained in 1983. During his ministry, the church began a teen program called the Yield Club for seventh through twelfth grades, junior church ministry, a men’s monthly prayer meeting, ladie's fellowship, food outreach ministry, precious child ministry, and a nursing home ministry.

1988 - On April 10, 1988, the congregation voted unanimously to proceed in building the fellowship hall under the direction and leading of the Lord. In May 1988, the church began a stewardship campaign, “A Bold Venture”, to raise funds for the fellowship hall.

On October 10, 1988, Pastor Griese was stricken with advanced Burkitt’s lymphoma, a rare, aggressive African strain of cancer. Given a 10 percent change of survival, he underwent extensive chemotherapy at Duke University Medical Center. Prayer began for him even before his first treatment and the results were both quick and miraculous. A second bone marrow test showed no trace of cancer. Although he appreciates doctors, modern medicine and medical techniques, Pastor Griese says he is convinced it was God alone who healed him of the stubborn cancer, “God gave me peace through it all. I was ready to go it if was His will, but He must not be through with me yet. He must have something else for me to do.”

1990 - Construction of the new fellowship hall was completed and a dedication service was held on May 20, 1990.

1993 - On February 2, 1993, a freak accident caused major structural damage to the sanctuary. During the remodeling period, worship services were held in the fellowship hall. After six months the “new” sanctuary of worship was dedicated on August 15 to the Lord Jesus Christ to use in proclaiming the gospel of salvation and for training believers in the service of the Lord. (additional photos below)
On October 1, 1993, Whitsett Baptist Church merged with New Life Baptist Church pastored by the Revend Tim Stevens. As co-pastors, Pastor Griese and Pastor Stevens complimented each other in serving the Lord together for many years.

1994 - In January 1994, the church began the AWANA Cubbies pre-school program on Wednesday nights for ages three to five years. It was also decided to broaden the nursery ministry by beginning “Precious Moments”, a class designed especially for two through four-year-olds.

Church members Van and Ressie Nelson had raised nearly all the required money and departed for the mission field in Sweden.

The women of the church formed a softball team to minister to others and fellowship together.

The church began an annual young married couples retreat in the fall of each year, beginning at Camp Bethel in Fincastle, VA.

1995 - The annual married couples retreat was held at Eagle Eyrie in [1], VA.

1996 - Starting in 1996 and continuing today, the annuel married retreat is for married couples and single adults, and is held in Gatlinburg, TN.

1998 - In 1998, due to church growth, plans to add additional Sunday School classrooms were implemented and construction began shortly thereafter.

After serving faithfully for over thirteen years, Pastor Griese answered God’s call to minister at Colonial Baptist Church in Blue Ridge, VA.

1999 - On Sunday October 31, 1999 our new Sunday School addition was dedicated.

2001 - In July 2001, church members George and Pat Parsons took a step of faith, using their talents for the Lord and went to the mission field. They are serving with “SOWERS" (Servants On Wheels Ever Ready). "SOWERS" is a helps ministry striving to further the Kingdom of God through volunteer labor assisting missionaries and other Christian organizations by traveling in RVs to their location and working.

2002 - On Sunday, June 9, 2002, the church honored Pastor Stevens during the morning service, celebrating 25 years in the ministry. The guest speaker was Reverend Larry Henderson followed by dinner on the gounds.

Also in 2002, the church officially changed the name to First Baptist Church of Whitsett, Inc.

2006 - The church was sadden to hear of the home-going of their second pastor, Reverend Dr. David Rice who died on March 3, 2006.

In 2006, the church was supporting 19 missionaries, 6 evangelists and 2 mission agencies.

Miscellaneous Images

Rainbow of First Baptist Church of Whitsett NC
Truck crash of 1993
Truck crash of 1993
Truck crash of 1993
Truck crash of 1993


Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.