Falls Line

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: [unknown] to about 1914
Location: Glasgow, Scotlandmap
Surnames/tags: British_Shipping Shipping_Lines
This page has been accessed 164 times.


Falls Line

The Falls Line was a shipping line in the late C19th and early C20th.

The line operated ships of two companies;

- Wright, Breakenridge & Co. (from 1878 up to 1892); and,
- Wright and Graham & Co. (from 1892).

Both companies' ships used the same flag. The Falls Line's offices were at 111 Union Street, Glasgow, Scotland.

The Falls Line does not appear to have operated ships after 1914, although some of the company's ships continued in operation for other owners.

With only one exception, all the Falls Line ships - both sail and steam - were wrecked, lost without trace, or sank, either during or after the time that the ships were under the Falls Line's flag.

German or Austrian submarine attacks during World War I resulted in the sinking of five of the ships; UC-17 sank the Falls of Afton; UB-57 sank the Benito (ex-Falls of Nith); U-14 sank the Teakwood (ex-Falls of Moness) [22]; UB-47 sank the Shinsan Maru (ex-Falls of Keltie); and UC-45 sank the Teie (ex-Falls of Dee).

The Falls of Clyde was and is the sole survivor.

Ships of the Falls Line

The Falls Line's ships were distinguished by all being named after Scottish river falls.

The Falls Line sailing vessels that were originally operated by Wright, Breakenridge & Co. were:

- Falls of Clyde, built in 1878.
- Falls of Bruar, built in 1879.
- Falls of Dee, built in 1882, sold in 1901 and renamed the Teie in 1910
- Falls of Afton, built in 1882.
- Falls of Foyers, bult in 1883.
- Falls of Earn, built in 1884.
- Falls of Halladale, built in 1886.
- Falls of Garry, built in 1886, sold as a wreck in 1898 and repaired, then resold in 1904.

There was also another sailing vessel that was only ever operated by Wright, Graham & Co.

All were similar four-masted, iron-hulled, sailing vessels, and all were built by Russell & Co. Most were full-rigged ships, but three of the vessels were rigged as barques; the Falls of Halladale, Falls of Garry, and Falls of Ettrick.


These steamships - also named for Scottish river falls - operated under the Falls Line flag managed by Wright, Graham & Co.

- SS Falls of Bracklinn, built in 1894; the ship went missing after leaving Baltimore in 1897.
- SS Falls of Keltie, built in 1898, sold in 1905 and renamed the Hoyle Bank, subsequently the avarachus Condouriotis (1914), the Taisan Maru (1916) and the Shinsan Maru (1917).
- SS Falls of Moness, built in 1902 originally chartered to the Indra Line as SS Indradeo came off charter in 1908 and was renamed the Falls of Moness, sold in 1914 and renamed SS Teakwood.
- SS Falls of Orchy, built in 1907, sold in 1914[19] and resold in 1915 when she was renamed SS Canastota.
- SS Falls of Nith, built in 1907, later sold and renamed SS Benito.


This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.

  • Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
  • Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.