Families of Ancient New Haven
- A.K.A: The New Haven Genealogical Magazine
- A.K.A.: The American Genealogist, Vol. 1-8.
An eight-volume work created by Donald Lines Jacobus between 1923 and 1932. These volumes were originally published as New Haven Genealogical Magazine, which was the predecessor of The American Genealogist. The complete work contains over 65,000 names of early Connecticut settlers and their descendents.
From the Introduction to Volume 1: "The following compilation includes the families of the ancient town of New Haven, covering the present towns of New Haven, East Haven, North Haven, Hamden, Bethany, Woodbridge and West Haven. These families are brought down to the heads of families in the First Census (1790), and include the generation born about 1790 to 1800. Descendants in the male line who removed from this region are also given, if obtainable, to about 1800, unless they have been adequately set forth in published genealogies.
It is intended to give every record of birth or baptism to 1800, every record of marriage to 1810, and every record of death of individuals born prior to 1800 in the above towns. All dates derived from the public records are followed by an abbreviated reference in italics, indicating their source. A key to these abbreviations is provided. The vital records of six towns, the registers of seven churches, and the inscriptions in twenty-seven graveyards have been copied The probate, land and court records have been searched, as far as they relate to families that settled in this region prior to 1750. Much material has also been gathered from probate and town records of districts and towns outside of this region. Dates not followed by symbols are usually from printed authorities which, although unverified, are considered trustworthy."
- by Jacobus, Donald Lines (1887-1970)
Vol. 1-8 are devoted almost entirely to families of the original township of New Haven. The issues are paged continuously.
- Source Example:
- <span id='Jacobus'></span>Jacobus, Donald Lines. ''[[Space:Families of Ancient New Haven|Families of Ancient New Haven]]'' (New Haven Genealogical Magazine)
- Inline Citation Example:
- <ref>[[#Jacobus|Jacobus]]: Vol. 1, Page 123</ref>
Available online at these locations:
- Search Only: Vol. 1-8 http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/32213864.html
- Search Only: Vol. 1-8 https://books.google.com/books?id=OeonAQAAMAAJ
- Vol. 1 Page 1-256
- Vol. 2 Page 257-512
- Vol. 3
- Vol. 4
- Vol. 5
- Vol. 6
- Vol. 7
- Vol. 8
- Search inside book. NEHGS membership required.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.