Location: Leon, Florida Territory, United States
Surnames/tags: Chaires slavery black heritage
Benjamin Chaires was the wealthiest planter in Florida. He originally bought 500 acres in 1832 which became Verdura Plantation, and added to the plantation throughout the 1830s. His largest land purchase was in 1836 when he bought a plantation from George Fauntleroy for $25,000. This included 800 acres, 57 slaves, and all improvements on the property. From that point on the property remained Verdura. Tax records in 1839 showed his estate to consist of 9,440 acres (3,820 improved land) and 80 slaves. 
- George Fauntleroy
- Benjamin Chaires, purchased in 1836
These enslaved persons were purchased from George Fauntleroy in 1836.
- Morris Gains (bef.1836-)
- George the Elder
- Tom Todd
- Tom Evans
- George the Younger
- Davy the Elder
- Aaron the Elder
- Fanny the Elder
- Eliza (1)
- Fanny (1)
- Eliza (2)
- Fanny (2)
- Eliza (3)
- Mary Catherine
- 2 infants unnamed
After his death in 1838, a public notice was posted on 29 Jun 1842 for the sale of slaves from Fauntleroy Place. They included:
- Edmund Mitchell (bef.1842-)
- Edmund Roberts (bef.1842-)
- Sarah (1)
- Sarah (2)
- plus four others whose names were unreadable on the public notice
For more information please see the Slaves of Benjamin C Chaires of Leon County, Florida
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
Deed:"Deeds, 1825-1886; index, 1825-1940"
Catalog: Deeds, 1825-1886; index, 1825-1940 Deeds, v. F 1829-1842
Film number: 007903536 > image 37 of 402
FamilySearch Image (accessed 9 January 2022)
- ↑ Public notice for a slave sale on June 29, 1842 near Tallahassee. 1842. State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/212336>, accessed 18 June 2021.
- Slavery and Plantation Growth in Antebellum Florida: 1821-1860 by Julia Floyd Smith (https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/AA/00/06/19/96/00001/9781947372627_Smith.pdf), pp141-143 on website, pp 125-127 in actual document regarding Benjamin Chaires.
- Verdura Plantation, Leon County, Florida (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Verdura_Plantation%2C_Leon_County%2C_Florida)
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Carolyn Martin and Gina Jarvi. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)